Applying for a Casting Call

A place where authors can exchange ideas or thoughts. Talk about what categories are hot and which ones are not.

Moderators: Celeste Stewart, Ed

cmcmahon66

Applying for a Casting Call

Post by cmcmahon66 »

I am in the process of applying for my first-ever casting call. I sent an initial note to the requester, and received a friendly response asking me to share examples of my work for review.

My question is, how do people usually do this? Do you cut/paste a relevant article from your past writing into the response window, or direct them to your online catalog at Constant-Content, or do you write a new sample article on the topic they are looking for? My past writing has some articles that are tangentially relevant to their area but I have not written anything precisely on the topic at this point, but I certainly could whip something up.

How have you provided examples of your work to those who request it in private messages through Constant Content?

Thanks!
cmcmahon66

Re: Applying for a Casting Call

Post by cmcmahon66 »

I went ahead and cut/paste into a message.

I would still be interested in how others have handled this.
Lysis

Post by Lysis »

I've only applied to one of these, and I sent a short note and assumed they could see my portfolio, but maybe I'm wrong about that.

Every time someone wants references at CC, I always tell them that my best stuff has sold of course! :D
Pellucidean

Post by Pellucidean »

I'm not sure what the best way to handle it is, but I would definitely not write up a whole sample article for them. That would be a waste of time and would give an unscrupulous customer the chance the steal the article and never pay anyone for the work they want.
LMasterson

Post by LMasterson »

I've applied for a couple of these in the past. With any that ask for examples of my work, I'll choose some in my portfolio that are on a similar topic or theme and include the links to those articles in the application. If they're interested in checking my writing style, they'll look at the links provided and see available content here on the site.