Constant Content Full Time?

A place where authors can exchange ideas or thoughts. Talk about what categories are hot and which ones are not.

Moderators: Celeste Stewart, Ed

Kthorpe

Constant Content Full Time?

Post by Kthorpe »

Hello All,

I have a few questions.

Is anyone still out there doing CC full time, as their main (or only) source of income?
If you do work CC full time, how many articles do you produce daily on average?
Is there a particular number your catalog reached before you started seeing content sell daily?

I feel like I have done relatively well here for my first month. I have increased my catalog to 33 articles in spite of having 10 days out of town where I had almost no internet connection and not working CC at all the first week of September. I sold 6 full rights articles and 3 usage, which I know is not ground-breaking, but it's a number I am satisfied with for my first month.

I see so much potential on this website, but when I research questions on the forum I notice a lot of individuals that were working CC full time in previous years, don't seem to post here at all and I hardly ever see new articles by them.

So I'd love to hear from anyone that is working this full time, or feels like they have achieved a moderately high degree of success here.

Thanks,

Katie
Lysis

Re: Constant Content Full Time?

Post by Lysis »

Depends on your income requirements. For me to be financially satisfied, I'd have to sell 4-5 per day. That means I'd have to write about 10/day initially and then maybe 7 once things picked up. I don't have it in me to write that much. lol

Also, I think to do it full time and sell every day, you need to be diverse and I just like writing tech with the occasional different one here and there. If you have $50-$100/day requirements, I think it could be done. It's a really bad idea to just use 1 site as your only income though.
Kthorpe

Post by Kthorpe »

I guess I should clarify.
I also write books personally that I self-publish, in addition to being a ghostwriter and writing content for private clients.
Writing for private clients has frankly been a marketing and collections nightmare which has taken a toll on my personal writing.

My ultimate goal would be to live off of the books that I write and publish and focus all of my time and energy on writing for myself, I guess I am mostly looking at CC as a bridge for the next couple years to help me get where I am going without being a starving artist :)

I do have - and will maintain other sources of income, but it would be amazing for my main source of income to come from a website that scouts new customers, markets my content and collects the payment for me.
Lysis

Post by Lysis »

I think CC is probably great for you then. I would expect 50% of your stuff to sell quickly, and then the other 25% to sell slowly. Obviously, if you wrote every day, then you would theoretically get to a point where you should sell 75% of your stuff every day. If you have it in you to write consistently, I think it would work.

What I do is write enough to where I would be happy if I sold 50% and then slowly the other 25% of my stuff sells.

CC is something where you make a lot of you put a lot of time in it, and the great thing is that you'll consistently make money even if you take time off. But, your income drops dramatically if you don't keep feeding the machine.

I think it's great as bonus money.
light87

Post by light87 »

Idk I wrote like 50 or 45 articles last month and only 5 sold or something. So.
Lysis

Post by Lysis »

I suppose it depends on what you write and your target audience. The buyers here are people looking for content at a premium, so they want something that attracts customers and makes them money. I would say a majority of my customers are people who sell something and don't have time to keep feeding the Google content machine.

There are ups and downs. I've only been doing private requests lately, but I need to ramp up my catalog articles. My suggestion is to write on stuff you know well and keep up with trends in the market. That's what sells at a premium because it's useful to people who need to drive traffic to their site. The same ol' same ol' stuff sells OK too. It's just not fast sellers like stuff that hasn't been done to death on here. There are some topics like SEO that everyone does that's the same same same, so when I do get it in me to write on a topic that's been done to death, I try to do something different.
light87

Post by light87 »

Nvm. 2 articles sold today for no reason.

Don't be afraid to price them fairly. My 372-word article sold for $45 fullrights.

Originally, this article got purged with the: "We have reviewed your content, "" Unfortunately, we can no longer consider this article for approval. Please do not resubmit."

But I fixed it up and resubmitted it because I actually didn't see that line the first time... the emails used to have that line at the bottom, so I thought I could still resubmit it. I'm glad the editor didn't purge it again or something, because it ended in profits for both me and CC :D.

I'm not sure if the lesson to be learned is: "ALWAYS RESUBMIT UR PURGED STUFF L333333333333t" Because that might actually get you banned? I'm not sure, to be safe I won't resubmit any of my purged articles until ppl start posting: "oh yeah I resubmit purged articles aaall the time"
Kthorpe

Post by Kthorpe »

Lol :-)
Congrats on your sales!
I played the lowering prices game for a couple of days but then went back and changed all of my content to fair pricing. I don't know where I came up with the exact number, but I don't want to be paid less than $60 an hour, so I make sure each article I post is worth that much and assume that eventually it will sell, even if it isn't immediate. I am careful to avoid any prohibitive pricing. I generally stay in the ten-cents-per-word range.
A 500 word article typically takes me 20ish minutes to write and then I try to edit twice which adds up to 10 minutes.
If an article requires more research time I will raise the price accordingly though.
light87

Post by light87 »

wow ur faster than me. it takes me 20 mins to do a 250-word one. how u do a 500-word one in 20 mins is just... amazing idk.

If I could write a 500-word article in 20 mins I would probably charge $30-40, just because that thread started by Constant said that $30 articles sell.

But yeah, I usually charge 11 - 13 cents.

I'm happy with making $40 / hr if it's on CC. I mean, that's $120 in 3 hrs. But I know that rarely can we write 3 hours straight like that. I can do 2 articles back-to-back, but seldom 3. And I usually play LoL while writing them :P. It's just really really boring and draining to sit there and write continuously.
Kthorpe

Post by Kthorpe »

Well, I've been writing for a really long time so that helps with overall speed.
But mostly, what I have recently found that helps is picking 1 topic to write multiple articles from various angles. Then I only have to research once and I can produce several quality articles in one day.
light87

Post by light87 »

Hey kthorpe. How did it go? Did writing lots of 500-word articles get you a full time income by now?
Kthorpe

Post by Kthorpe »

Hey Light,

ironically, after I posted this I got really sick, my son got really sick and then my sister who is like, a million months pregnant started experiencing issues that made me readjust my focus to help her.

I tried to maintain writing at a very quick pace, but then got hit with like 10 articles that were denied for reasoning that was unclear and the editor only actually made certain lines red, without any strike-through, comments or indication of what the issue was. I JUST started going through them to resubmit after some re-writing, but after getting a friend that is a professional editor to view the articles and even using a premium Grammarly subscription, I was literally unable to find ANY issues with the text before, or after editing. I almost wondered if the disheartening, mass-denial was an error because my denial average is typically less than 10% and has been since I first began writing here.

I am planning to get back on the wagon again this month though, now that my sister's health has improved :-) I will update!
Lysis

Post by Lysis »

Kthorpe wrote:Hey Light,

ironically, after I posted this I got really sick, my son got really sick and then my sister who is like, a million months pregnant started experiencing issues that made me readjust my focus to help her.

I tried to maintain writing at a very quick pace, but then got hit with like 10 articles that were denied for reasoning that was unclear and the editor only actually made certain lines red, without any strike-through, comments or indication of what the issue was. I JUST started going through them to resubmit after some re-writing, but after getting a friend that is a professional editor to view the articles and even using a premium Grammarly subscription, I was literally unable to find ANY issues with the text before, or after editing. I almost wondered if the disheartening, mass-denial was an error because my denial average is typically less than 10% and has been since I first began writing here.

I am planning to get back on the wagon again this month though, now that my sister's health has improved :-) I will update!
Was this around the first? I got hit with unusual "you suck DENIED" and then purged content from the system on the first. Oddly, another one went through without a problem on the same day. I have to go through them and resubmit, but it's frustrating when it happens. Not sure if new editor or internal ed who thinks I suck. Had a few reviewed yesterday and all is well again. Hoping it was just a bad day for someone.
Kthorpe

Post by Kthorpe »

It was a couple of weeks before the first, but I honestly. I questioned if it could be a new editor too, because I normally have a very good dialog with whoever has had to review my work in the past and shown me it needed to be "fixed up". Either it was a system error, someone new, or someone that submitted too soon because it was just VERY unclear what was wrong with the article, no comments or anything.
Only two had comments on them or strikethroughs where I could see what the issue was.
Lysis

Post by Lysis »

Yeah, mine was a crossout, a comment that I was switching tense and that she didn't understand. Well, it was kinda technical and not meant for the end user, so thought I fixed the issues and she just purged that one and then the next one of mine she got to. Haven't had that happen in ages.