Personal style...?

A place where authors can exchange ideas or thoughts. Talk about what categories are hot and which ones are not.

Moderators: Celeste Stewart, Ed

Kitagrl

Personal style...?

Post by Kitagrl »

I just have a question about personal style....occasionally I'll throw in a bit of humor that might not be fully grammatically correct (for emphasis) and it gets crossed out by the editors. So does that mean that grammatical rules can't be bent for emphasis even if it's obviously being used for that purpose?

I do know I tend to be slightly wordy, and I get that corrected a LOT, haha, but once in awhile I get a little bummed that the bits and pieces of my "personality" that I try to inject into my writing get removed. haha. Oh well!
Word Gypsy

Re: Personal style...?

Post by Word Gypsy »

If I remember correctly from a previous post, "personal style" is a figment of an author's imagination. Just saying..., but seriously, the eds here will slap you down faster than a mosquito on a hot day for trying to infuse the ever imaginary element of "personal style." Sadly, it means fewer people get to see your "sparkle," but as they say, "It is what it is." It's all about correct grammar, spelling, and whatever else is on the list. WG
Lysis

Post by Lysis »

yeah, I've never been successful with stuff like that. Not here anyway.
Abbamay

Post by Abbamay »

I agree. This site seems to be about high quality, correct writing, and I think there must be better outlets for more creative writing elsewhere.
Kitagrl

Post by Kitagrl »

Okay, good to know! I find once the editors get through with my pieces, they read sort of "sterilized". Which is fine, I guess, because evidently the people shopping the site want a sterile informative article. I find if I try to inject humor, use extra adjectives for effect, or use a cute "idiom" that it gets crossed out. I just thought since some people might be here looking for a blog post if they're out of ideas, they would want something in a more conversational tone. Not that I've written a blog post here yet, but usually they are more casual than informative writing.

But of course it's my job to write how I'm requested to write instead of how I want to write. So it's cool.