108 hits!

A place where authors can exchange ideas or thoughts. Talk about what categories are hot and which ones are not.

Moderators: Celeste Stewart, Ed

Karbyn

108 hits!

Post by Karbyn »

Just wanted to share a happy moment

Apparently I wrote an eye-catching title, at least - 108 hits - the most-ever on one of my articles.

No sale yet, but that's just because the right buyer has not come along yet, that's all. I'm sure there's at least one buyer out there in the world who has the same snarky sense of humor I was in when I wrote this particular piece, and when they run across it, they'll snap it right up.

Anyway, I just wanted to share this smiley moment with another writerly someone out there.

thanks.
Lysis

Re: 108 hits!

Post by Lysis »

I had one buy after 700+. Sometimes, it just won't sell. Kinda the downside to this, but the 70% number they throw out is pretty accurate I think.
Karbyn

Post by Karbyn »

What's the 70% number?

I'm not familiar with that.
Lysis

Post by Lysis »

It's estimated that you'll sell about 70% of the content you write. Just from my own experience, I find this is a good estimate when you calculate the amount of money you'll make from this place.
Karbyn

Post by Karbyn »

okay, great, thanks for clearing that up, much appreciated.
Pellucidean

Post by Pellucidean »

If articles sit on the front page for a long time, they will get tons and tons of hits. I think that's the main driver of high hit totals. Unfortunately it doesn't seem to mean too much in terms of selling. I had an article with over 1000 hits, no sales… and another that sold with 0 hits. That one still has me confused. Did someone really buy the article without looking at the content at all? Maybe.

And I'd kill for a 70%. I'm at at about 33% right now. :cry: I must be doing something wrong.
Karbyn

Post by Karbyn »

I'm at 30% now, also, but I am determined to stick with it!

70%, here I come!

:-)
Lysis

Post by Lysis »

It's kinda weird, but it seems like articles need to age before they sell. At least for me. I mostly sell stuff that I wrote 6-8 months ago. I just sold one that I think I wrote in July last year. I had a couple sell last year that were 2 years old.

Also, if you write a lot, your percentage might be lower. So, you might write 2-5 every day. That's 60 a month at least. I would expect 20-30 of those to sell quickly and then another third or so will sell later. If you went at that same pace for the next month, you'd have at least 120 articles with 60 of them being from the current month, and I'd say maybe half of those would sell plus some from the previous month. Do it again the following month, and your percentage would go lower.

I go back and look at what I sold months ago to gauge where I'm at. I think about 40-50% sell quickly and then the rest sell slowly over time.

Although, I've submitted only 1 article to the public pool in the last 6 months. lol So, everything I sell is pretty old now.
contentwriter

Post by contentwriter »

I'm at the 70% sale rate. But I only write a few articles. With me, I often will know within a month or two if a new article will sell. These tend to be business or technology topics. But if they don't sell that quick, it seems they won't sell t all! I have one with well over 600 views and no sale. Others sell after sitting for many months or a year. After a while, I began to notice which topics sell fast and which come in spurts. I keep the price low for the slow-selling titles and keep to my standard fee for the more in-demand articles. Oh, and I always set the same price for all licenses, so guaranteed the buyer will choose full rights. But I don't really worry about it anymore. I just write what I know and what I am in the mood to write. I admit I am not too responsive to the pool requests. Shame on me. :oops: