What is your CC "Eureka" moment?

A place where authors can exchange ideas or thoughts. Talk about what categories are hot and which ones are not.

Moderators: Celeste Stewart, Ed

remoteriverman

Re: What is your CC "Eureka" moment?

Post by remoteriverman »

Thanks, TopQuark. I think in my case I mostly just got lucky the first month with the timing of available writer pools. Funnily enough, the very first article I sold on CC (a 1500-word Public Request) was on the subject of how to increase your productivity as a freelance writer - cheeky.

When I write on spec I write about anything. I think fitness/diet/health topics are always going to do pretty well on here. The world is obsessed with abs, for some reason. My two articles with the most hits are about TV shows, but neither has sold yet.

I wrote 4 books before I joined CC, and writing for an online site isn't actually all that different, unless it's one of those convoluted SEO-saturated articles (which I try to avoid).

Cheers, Kevin
Kate

Post by Kate »

Just had mine today - first article sold! Yahoo!!! <---- those extra [obnoxious] exclamation marks are just because I'm on this forum and not writing a real article :mrgreen:
remoteriverman

Post by remoteriverman »

Looks like no one has had a 'Eureka moment' on CC for over a year now. Perhaps if the question was rephrased: "When was your Eureka moment - when you realised you didn't want to write for this site any more?" this thread could be given new life.... :)
Word Gypsy

Post by Word Gypsy »

Ah, I've missed your comments. :) Personally, I haven't had any Eureka moments in a very long time....
Lysis

Post by Lysis »

I just uploaded 3 articles after a long hiatus since the last complaints of rejections.
LauraGinn

Post by LauraGinn »

Lysis wrote:I just uploaded 3 articles after a long hiatus since the last complaints of rejections.
This actually made me LOL.
Lysis

Post by Lysis »

heee heee

You know, after coming back from a 6 month hiatus and looking at the articles that were rejected, they were justified. I get so tied up in "my do 5 articles a day" or whatever my goals that I start making mistakes. One mistake was in the first sentence. :(

But, I've just uploaded a bunch and things are going smoothly again.
GailF

Post by GailF »

I've had a Eureka!! moment!

I first listed an article in 2011 (not sure why or what for) and then abandoned the site until 2014. Then I posted another four articles (once again, no idea why). And this month, my first article sold. It was a crazy email to receive when I'd completely forgotten about CC altogether. So I looked back into it and a lot of people have said you can actually make some decentish money. I've been writing up a storm since then (a very mild storm) and was rewarded with a second sale today! So it's feeling a bit like Eureka!! for me at the moment. Hope to keep going as I'm sure more articles means more sales.
Word Gypsy

Post by Word Gypsy »

Hi Gail! Congrats on your sales! Wishing you many more! WG
GailF

Post by GailF »

Thanks muchly! I'm actually waiting to be suspended because it seems 80% of my articles come back with rejections... So I'm not sure how invested I should get in the site. Still would like to make it work but we'll see.
Lysis

Post by Lysis »

Grats Gail. If it's any consolation, I had a bumpy start here. Got a warning that I needed to clean it up or they would suspend my account. This was in 2009 when I started (2010 maybe?). The first 30ish articles for me were rough, but I started out writing for content farms so I probably picked up some bad habits along the way.

Now, I'm 600+ articles written and 400+ sold. Sometimes, I think you get into the mode to write a specific amount each day and you get burnt out. At least, that's what happens to me. My suggestion is to write it and get it to where you want and come back to proofing and editing in the morning. It will help when you're not burnt for the day.
GailF

Post by GailF »

Thanks Lysis. My first ten went in pretty well but now it's... bumpy, as you say. I think I just need to get used to the style here. Wordy is my problem but I'm getting a lot of articles stopped for one or two things that seem to be a matter of opinion instead. Hopefully I'll get the hang of it before I get booted! I'm glad to hear you got a warning.

I'll take your suggestion for the editing the next day and see how that goes for me. Thanks again!
Abbamay

Post by Abbamay »

Sounds good, Gail. Well done!

I definitely agree with doing the editing the next day when you are fresh. If you do get a rejection try not to feel too miserable about it but just keep going and learn from it. It happens to all of us. I think this site is wonderful and I think you'll enjoy working here. I remember that great feeling when you get your first sale and you can't believe it's true! :D

Take care,

Abba May
GailF

Post by GailF »

Thanks for the advice! I think it's helping. A couple straight acceptances with one review. I really appreciate the help.
mollylayton

Post by mollylayton »

Mine came after I'd taken a break from the website. I received an e-mail stating I'd earned $40 for one of my articles. It seems this site is a good fit for me and can earn me a fair amount of money if I work hard.