What do these seach topics mean?

A place where authors can exchange ideas or thoughts. Talk about what categories are hot and which ones are not.

Moderators: Celeste Stewart, Ed

Sakmeht

What do these seach topics mean?

Post by Sakmeht »

Hi all,

When I go to catalog sales and look at the search topics I commonly see things like "pit", "hes" and "nct"... I know what "seo" means, LOL

Can anyone shed some light? I also usually see percentage signs and numbers scattered throughout certain search topics.

Thanks,
Sarita
Lysis

Re: What do these seach topics mean?

Post by Lysis »

I think the encoded characters are bots or automated scripts.

I've seen the pit and hes before too. I was thinking pit was for the dog, but who knows. I actually did a search on hes cuz I didn't know what it meant, but it comes up with the Hess gasoline trading info, so not sure.
tayalltheway

Post by tayalltheway »

I would suggest you don't put too much stock in the recent search topics. Many of them are just nonsense (e.g. Rita, hes, and pit) and others are very rarely updated (which is why Halloween is still on the Popular section). I've personally never been able to get a good writing idea from the search topics, though I have definitely found the recent sales section to be helpful.
Lysis

Post by Lysis »

My name was in the search area one time, because I had someone stalking me. lol I still have a screen shot of that.
Sakmeht

Post by Sakmeht »

Thanks guys,

Yeah, I don't really generate articles based off of the recent searches. I usually just write what I feel like and also do holiday stuff a few months in advance.
Lysis, I actually searched for you a couple weeks ago. Your name always pops up in the forums and I was curious as to what type of stuff you write about.
Don't worry, I'm not stalking you! LOL
Lysis

Post by Lysis »

oooh no, sorry, didn't mean you. Someone typed my real first and last name into the search box.

I'm flattered you went searching for me though. I'm a boring nerd so I write boring nerdy stuff. :D
Stuarts

Post by Stuarts »

Is it actually possible to link up what someone posts as on this forum and what their main CC author profile page is?

The names are totally different most of the time and there doesn't seem to be any links in the profile page sections on the forum?
evaku

Post by evaku »

Well once in a while I happen to see someone on the main CC page whose name matches up with their forum name, so that's how I have found some people. In fact, I have some writers bookmarked. Not to be creepy or anything, it just helped me to keep track of how much other people write to gauge how much I should be doing. I vastly underestimate myself but when I saw that some writers were doing 5-7 a day it helped me get motivated to up my volumes.

My username is very similar as well so I think I'd be recognizable! Just haven't written for the catalog in a long while. Does it even work to type in someone's name into the CC search and actually find them? I thought it only brought you articles. I'm off to go try with "lysis" :P :)

nope just like I thought, doesn't work!
Stuarts

Post by Stuarts »

How much are you doing now Evaku?

Looking at the home page about 1 sale for every 2 written seems to be about the hit rate currently. So on that basis to earn over $100 a day you would need to churn out 5 x 500 word articles a day priced at $50 each, monday to friday.
Lysis

Post by Lysis »

I'm at about half, but I think the higher percentages are coming out from writer pools and private requests. It's rare not to sell to a private request.

When you are churning out so many a day, I think you have a low sale rate compared to what you are writing. I have noticed that one writer who seems really successful went from less than 50% sold from his pool to he's now hitting the 70%ish mark, but he also hasn't written for the open pool at all and still writes tons a day. I figure he's churning out private requests now. He averages like 100 written a month.
Stuarts

Post by Stuarts »

Its interesting looking at the top writers list.

I did a screen grab on the 16th Dec and then just had another look today on the 22nd. So, maybe 6 or 7 days (ish)

Here is the comparison of the top ten with two figures. The first one is the amount of new articles written in the week. The second is the amount sold in the week. I have left off names for the sake of privacy. This does however provide an interesting idea of how much writing people are doing when they getting cranking, and how many they are selling (though clearly most of these have a significant catalogue already.)

1/ 0 - 2
2/ 14 - 15
3/ 40 - 9
4/ 9 - 5
5/ 17 - 4
6/ 33 - 48
7/ 118 - 104
8/ 29 - 21
9/ 1 - 4
10/ 14 - 12

If you reckon on say five days writing in those seven then the range of articles written is anywhere from zero to around 24 per day. With perhaps an average of about 3 to 8 being closer to the norm.

If you average say a $50 sales price, clearing $32.50 each. Then you are looking at earnings ranging between around $65 and $3380 for the week.