Doing the Math: How Steady Is Writers' Pool Work?

A place where authors can exchange ideas or thoughts. Talk about what categories are hot and which ones are not.

Moderators: Celeste Stewart, Ed

weagle87

Doing the Math: How Steady Is Writers' Pool Work?

Post by weagle87 »

Hi,

Out of the blue a full-time position (that does not use my skills) nearly fell into my lap. Now I have to decide whether to pursue it. The money is fairly good compared to a first year of writing. However, I just got picked to be on several writers' pools.

With my income improving dramatically due to the writers' pools, I'm having a hard time "doing the math." Too many unknowns are out there. I want to continue my weird lifestyle of staying home to write and teaching at the community college. But I need some help from seasoned writers' pool participants. Can anyone tell me how much writers' pool work is out there throughout the year? I would appreciate that information very much.

Thanks!

L.A.
topquark

Re: Doing the Math: How Steady Is Writers' Pool Work?

Post by topquark »

It comes and goes, although it's been very good lately. Before the current energy/mobile/broadband/insurance/credit project started, Eric sent out an email asking about writers' availability to work on those articles "over the next 2 months". That was in October, so who knows what will happen after the end of this year?

I'm not sure whether all writers in the pools can see the same work. I've recently seen work being posted by two other clients as well as the energy/insurance/mobile/etc guy, but in both cases it's been labelled as being part of a "project" and I think being accepted to a project is different to being accepted into a writer pool. Not sure though.

A full-time job is always going to give more predictable income than freelancing. If you do decide to decline the job, I would advise having another source of income besides CC. I'm a full-time freelancer and I am currently spending ~85% of my time on CC at the moment, but earlier this year it was a lot less. Even recently, every so often there will be no claimable work available here for a couple of days, so it helps to have other sites to fall back on. Or I guess you could spend that time adding to your catalog or working on a site of your own in the hope of getting future returns.

I don't *think* you can be removed from a writer's pool simply by being inactive (although you might want to check that with support) so you could always take the job and keep writing as a backup. There is no minimum requirement of how much work you have to take on from the pools, so you might be able to keep writing on the side while you work your full-time job, depending on what your other time commitments are.

There's no easy answer, I'm afraid. Trying to predict the availability of work in the future can be a bit like gazing into a crystal ball.
Lysis

Post by Lysis »

I was added when the writer's pool first started and I didn't get removed for being inactive (didn't do anything at CC for a year but been steady now for 6 months).

I actually just lowered my work to part time from being a full-time developer. The software engineering field sucks major ass lately. Love programming, but hate doing it for corporate. So, I am down to only a required 30-hour work week. The goal is to use the 10-hours to boost my other income streams, so hopefully, I will actually make more while still software engineering which is a bulk of my income. I lose $100 by leaving 2 hours early, and my goal is to make $150/work day to make it a "good" decision. lol

Anyway, I'm kinda in your shoes. My thoughts were to keep a guaranteed job in my back pocket, so I always have income and less stress to find a full day's workday. It depends on your stress level and income requirements. Making a developer level salary in writing is hard, but I can do both and do really well.

I also think it's good to get out of the house and interact with people and just get dressed for a while.

So, anyway, that's my personal experience and opinion on mixing CC with a real job.
weagle87

Post by weagle87 »

Thank you both very much. That is pretty much what I thought about the consistency of the work. This is a difficult decision since the position that may be available would mean abandoning my community college job - a position that I really love but that pays slave wages. Of course, the longer I stay there, the more likely a real position will become available.

Grrr...obviously, there is no one who can make this decision but me. But it will be easier with your help. Thanks again! :D
Abbamay

Post by Abbamay »

That's so complicated, weagle87. Try praying! :)

I like the idea of a regular job and CC on the side to make extra, but only doing freelance writing at home would be just perfect if we had any kind of certainty about how much writer pool work would continue to flow in next year. I wonder if CC could let you know if they are expecting these big orders to continue or not?

Whatever you decide, why don't you let us know what happens? Wishing the best for you!

Abba May
Lysis

Post by Lysis »

CC can't let you know, because just like everyone else, they can't predict the future.

Instead of praying, I suggest being logical and sitting down and crunching numbers. If the writer pools fell apart tomorrow, where would you be? Some wise, wise, freelancer told me a long time ago to never allow one place to be more than 30% of your required income.

You don't have to work for corporate, but online writing outlets are extremely volatile. I've had some that paid me $2k/month suddenly dry up. Luckily, it was side work and although it sucked hard, it wasn't the end of the world. Had I allowed myself to rely on just that outlet, I'd be screwed.

CC is the only place that has stayed consistent, but it's had times where it's been slow. Most writing outlets just see you as a resource. A service that comes and goes and it's nothing for them to get rid of you or replace you. It's a lot colder than the average 9-5 that will work with you and doesn't necessarily want to just replace you on a whim. Writing outlets are a lot less caring when it comes to getting rid of writers, and that includes the private clients and whatnot.

Best thing to do IMO is to work part time (if possible) and build up several income streams and then take the jump to full-time at-home work, but really at-home work can be incredibly unhealthy. That's all dependent on the person though.
weagle87

Post by weagle87 »

Wow, thank you all very much. I thought I would let you know what I decided. (I'm both pro-praying and pro-logic, by the way.)

I've had a bit of a journey, but suffice to say that it took me a while to get back to my little community college. I'm thankful to be there, even teaching adjunct. I do, indeed, have three income streams — home, college, and retail — although I should diversify my home stream into other areas.

The job was in a completely unrelated field. While it would provide income, it would essentially toss my degrees in the trash (and the income would be limited). In addition, I would have incurred a significant commute on my old-ish car. So I decided to refocus on getting to know people at the college and work on eventually increasing that income stream. I told the potential employer I was not really interested.
Lysis

Post by Lysis »

Whatever is right for you, right?

I have to pull in about $7k/month (before taxes) to be comfortable. Can't really churn out content for that kind of cash, but I can tell you that in the first six months of the year, I was doing $2k-$3k/month on the side on the weekends. I know that's a comfortable salary for lots of people.

So I know you can do it. Just takes time. Incidentally, the bulk of that income was two clients that dried up. They lasted 2 years before they did, but I got no notice or anything. Just "bye, we don't need content." Actually, one still owes me $500 and I'm sure I won't see it. That's the way it is for lots of places. Look at DMS and the massive amount of writers that got let go one day. Didn't see it coming, but the job was good for like 2-3 years.

That's why I suggest something part time at least. Less stress and hassle, and you get out of the house! When you lose cash, you still have it to fall back on.

Good luck!