Best free video editor?

A place where authors can exchange ideas or thoughts. Talk about what categories are hot and which ones are not.

Moderators: Celeste Stewart, Ed

contentwriter

Best free video editor?

Post by contentwriter »

Hi. This isn't related to CC stuff. I'm looking for a free video editor with a color correction feature. I want to edit family videos because I'm not satisfied with the quality of indoor videos my digital camera (a Canon SX1500) takes. Any ideas? I see a bunch of free editors but they're mostly clipping and trimming and capturing, which I don't need.

If there's nothing, can you recommend a reasonably priced premium editor?
remoteriverman

Re: Best free video editor?

Post by remoteriverman »

Most free video editors are free because they're basic and not much good, to be honest. For my Remote River Man expedition videos, I edited with Sony Vegas Platinum 10 (there's probably a newer version out by now) on my PC. Not sure I'd call it reasonably priced, but it certainly does a professional-looking job. If you use a Mac instead of a PC, then Final Cut Pro is the bomb - Hollywood movies are edited with that one.

Mind you, you would be wise to investigate the colour-correcting capabilities first (I've never had to do any because all my video is shot outdoors in natural colour). Also, if you start to do serious video editing in volume, invest in an external hard drive and store all edited video on that rather than on your PC. Video files are huge and will quickly swamp your computer and use up any available spare hard drive space.

Cheers,
Kevin