English Question

A place where authors can exchange ideas or thoughts. Talk about what categories are hot and which ones are not.

Moderators: Celeste Stewart, Ed

Tster

English Question

Post by Tster »

Hello writers,

I come to post today because of interest.

What is the difference between consequently and consequentially, as well as partially and partly.

As far as I know, partially means everything slightly (e.g. the paper was partially wet - slightly damp all over) and partly means just somethings to a larger extent (e.g. the paper was partly wet - one corner was very wet)
Lysis

Re: English Question

Post by Lysis »

Man if this was an english quiz, I'd fail. God I suck.
evaku

Re: English Question

Post by evaku »

Tster wrote:Hello writers,

I come to post today because of interest.

What is the difference between consequently and consequentially, as well as partially and partly.

As far as I know, partially means everything slightly (e.g. the paper was partially wet - slightly damp all over) and partly means just somethings to a larger extent (e.g. the paper was partly wet - one corner was very wet)
I think consequently has more to do with sequence, and consequentially has more to do with consequences. Which really, is saying almost the same thing, but I do think there is a subtle distinction.

Consequently is more like, "this happened, and then this other thing happened, because it is simply the next thing in the sequence."

And then consequentially is more like... "this necessarily happened BECAUSE OF those other things." So it is a consequence of something else, instead of just being something that comes next in an order.

I don't know if that makes any sense. I have never thought about these two words this hard before and have probably used them interchangeably before.

Partially and partly I really just would consider as synonyms for one another.