Branding and author pseudonym.

A place where authors can exchange ideas or thoughts. Talk about what categories are hot and which ones are not.

Moderators: Celeste Stewart, Ed

contentwriter

Branding and author pseudonym.

Post by contentwriter »

Hi again, fellow CC writers!

I'm trying to decide on the right pseudonym to use for my work here. In your experience, does a strongly "ethnic" sounding name have a positive, negative or neutral impact on your "brand" and how clients react to your work? I am of mixed lineage and would like to use a name that reflects who I am and where I come from. But I also want to employ a name that suits my job.

Honestly, do you think your name has an effect on your prospects of finding clients/buyers and whether or not people take your articles seriously? Would a publisher trust an article more if the author had a name like this or that, instead of another?

Please don't take this as me taking issues with race. I don't. I just need some realistic advice on names and branding!
Lysis

Re: Branding and author pseudonym.

Post by Lysis »

I used to use "Lysis" as my byline. haha Just because I didn't want to put my full name anywhere.

I don't include my byline anymore.
Judith
Location: I may be found where mountains rise and rivers flow.

Post by Judith »

I use my name.
J. A. Young

Post by J. A. Young »

Interesting topic. I've been of the opinion that a quirky nickname would not hold much weight or credibility, but I've seen that premise turned on its head! I think you can brand yourself as you wish these days. I will say that I went for the initials because my name, Jennifer, gives my age/era away and I didn't want age/gender getting in the way of any writing opportunities when I first started here. I don't want to pick on any names, but just for the sake of discussion, is a client looking for finance writing going to browse the authors and contact Trixie or Barbara? It's playing into prejudices, but it's a marketing thing and when starting out, it's something to take into consideration or ignore as you will. I think it's interesting, though, how we all approach our handles. You've got to feel comfortable. At times, I'm not crazy about the anonymity of using initials and a last name, my husband's name, Young. But, in the end, it's about building relationships with clients. Once they know you and like you, they'll remember your name:) I'll pick on Word Gypsy because she's at the top of the list and has handled her brand so well. She's found an easy-to-remember name but also provides her real name in the bio which safeguards credibility. So, there you go! When I was in my 20s I remember a talk show that interviewed some writer (alas, I forget her name) who published a book called the "Jennifer Syndrome" about young women stealing men from older women. Now that the Jennifers are, I'll just say, nearing that age median, there's probably a new name to steal that role:) So, yes, names have meaning for people, but you get to infuse that meaning as you like when you pick a pen name. Well, my gut says design your brand name as you will and just make it work. I really think it's more of an issue when you're just starting out and don't have a catalog or expertise area built up and are trying to attract customers. Even still, it's the writing that will ultimately speak for itself.
Lysis

Post by Lysis »

ha! JA, that's an interesting read in your post, because my name is Jennifer. I remember 4 girls in my classes (private school so only 30 people in a class) with the name Jennifer.

I didn't know we were branded to steal men. ha! That's coo doh, we hot and we know it. :D

I think being a female helps. At least it does for the male dominated tech industry. As long as I don't let myself go, I should be OK for another 10 years. Thank god I don't smoke.
contentwriter

Post by contentwriter »

Thanks for the input! I've thought of using a handle myself and then putting my real name in the profile and also in the byline. I guess we should just pick a handle or pseudonym that fits with what we write. Catchy is nice so long as it's not so silly that the writer can't be taken seriously. In the end as J.A. says, it's the writing that counts.

I've sold 2 articles now. So it's working whatever I'm doing!