Do reviews sell well?

A place where authors can exchange ideas or thoughts. Talk about what categories are hot and which ones are not.

Moderators: Celeste Stewart, Ed

gl205

Do reviews sell well?

Post by gl205 »

Hi all, I'm a newly-fledged CC writer and I'm finding my feet by writing quite a broad range of articles. There are some films I've seen recently, and books I've read, and I was thinking of writing some reviews of them. I also have a few ideas for some 'Top 5' articles. Does anyone know if those types of articles sell well on CC? Does anyone write content like that regularly?

Gill
Lysis

Re: Do reviews sell well?

Post by Lysis »

I haven't reviewed a movie (I don't think...4 years on CC and 150 articles you forget stuff lol). I have reviewed games. I've sold my gaming reviews. I've seen movie reviews sell. I reviewed Zelda about a year and a half ago (when the game first came out, I played it), and it sold a month or two ago to the customer looking for game and console reviews. He did a public request, and I was too busy to write more.

CC is an enigma to me, but in a good way. Just when you think something won't sell, someone comes up and snatches it. You should write about whatever you want. I've seen some obscure things sell that I would not have thought anyone was looking for. lol It's really cool. Sometimes I sit here trying to come up with titles just because there are so many options here.

So, basically, if you want to review a move, review a movie. It could be like me and take 1.5 years to sell, but I've also sold articles within minutes of it going up too. It's just a matter of when the right customer comes along.

Incidentally, a few months ago, I sold one of my first articles I did for a request in 2009. It was for lawn care. Really didn't think it was going anywhere, but got the "sold" email a few months ago.
evaku

Post by evaku »

I've reviewed about 4 or 5 movies and sold one of those articles for usage rights. It was nice because reviews for something I have just seen don't take me very long to write, and so in about half an hour I earned back the price of a movie ticket plus a few extra dollars. I don't personally feel like reviews are very big sellers (though they do seem to garner a lot of hits - maybe people just don't like my take on movies?), but I am still probably going to keep writing them if I have just come out of a movie and have a few things to say about it. It doesn't take much time, adds to my catalog, and can possibly pay me back for my ticket, so why not?
Lysis

Post by Lysis »

Good for you!

Something to take out of your equation, though, is that lots of the views from when the article first goes live is probably from other writers. Don't mean to take the wind out of your sails, but it's just something to keep in mind when you evaluate views vs sales.
LauraD

Post by LauraD »

Lysis, you're right. They really need to subtract views from other writers from the actual customer views, in my opinion. Or, include a column for each type of data, rather than lumping them together which tells the author almost nothing about the traction their article could be getting/not getting in the real marketplace.