Promoting unsold articles?

A place where authors can exchange ideas or thoughts. Talk about what categories are hot and which ones are not.

Moderators: Celeste Stewart, Ed

MordantC

Promoting unsold articles?

Post by MordantC »

Following a tip from another writer, I recently set up a Twitter account specifically for promoting my unsold articles. I was wondering whether any other writers have done the same sort of thing; and if so, are there any other places where people promote CC work that hasn't been picked up yet?
csjwilkinson

Re: Promoting unsold articles?

Post by csjwilkinson »

How does Twitter help you? Please share.
MordantC

Post by MordantC »

It is garnering me more views. I've been posting links to my articles, along with hashtags (#content, #'seo and so on) to make them more searchable. I've only just started so I'm not expecting a huge volume of sales, but in the medium to long term I reckon it will pay off.
csjwilkinson

Post by csjwilkinson »

Doesn't it depend on your followers?
MordantC

Post by MordantC »

Not entirely. If you use hashtags, people following particular tags will see your tweets. Of course, it's best to have a good number of interested followers.
nicole22biba

Post by nicole22biba »

Would you be so kind to provide the link towards the articles promoted on Twitter (I don't know if it's possible or not).
Thank you
diversebydesign

Post by diversebydesign »

I have been doing the same thing, except not on Twitter (although a good idea). I made a page on my blog specifically for selling my unsold articles from here and any other sites that I sell to. I also made a page marketing myself as a freelance writer for a more direct approach.

I will be honest, I have yet to see any results from this but then again I have not had the time to put too much work into these pages. Matter of fact I have not had as much time as I would like to even post to my blog! I mean I do.. just not as much as I want to. Writing takes a lot of time, and I do it sometimes all day.

I have no problem sharing my "marketing strategies" with fellow freelance writers. Even though technically you guys are my competition, but still, we have to stick together and help each other out to a certain extent if any of us hope to make it. Then as we do we eventually should turn around and lend a hand to those who helped us to get there. That is how people get along and network in this business world and this is not different. So on that note..

If anybody would like me to maybe post a "visiting blogger" or "visiting author" / "Ghost blogger" article on their blog I would be happy to. Likewise, if anybody would be interested in doing the same on my blog let me know! This type of inter-blog marketing/networking is a great way to spread our names around and gain some notoriety. That is something that will help us all because think about it, the more recognizable our names are, the more people will want US to do work for them.

So let's promote each other!

http://www.dbdnet.blogspot.com
AteoAltruist

Post by AteoAltruist »

I have no problem sharing my "marketing strategies" with fellow freelance writers. Even though technically you guys are my competition, but still, we have to stick together and help each other out...
IMO, it's smart to help others. The internet's changed everything, and the concept of competition is being transformed. Also, markets are now global. I don't think of you guys as competition, I think of you guys as my team. :)

Peace!
SJHillman

Post by SJHillman »

AteoAltruist wrote:
I don't think of you guys as competition, I think of you guys as my team. :)
That's a good way of looking at it. CC largely works because of the community of writers behind it who not only support each other, but give CC a nice, plump catalog to draw customers in with. If you treat other writers here as competition, then it increases the chances of them leaving, which would reduce CC's ability to serve customers. In turn, that would reduce the number of customers buying articles here. So although you may see short term gains, in the long run we'll benefit more from helping one another. So in addition to the whole you-help-me-and-I'll-help-you community, you're also increasing your own sales by treating other CC authors as team members.
diversebydesign

Post by diversebydesign »

Both of you have made great points on the subject of "teams' and "teamwork". I do agree with it although my previous post would lead people to believe otherwise.

The whole idea behind this forum is writers helping other writers and I am all for that. Hopefully by sharing whatever ideas we have we can increase the revenue that we all see.
mnicol22

Post by mnicol22 »

I love the idea of everyone working as a team. I've never been competitive in any of my previous jobs, and I know I definitely can't compete with writers who have over 1000 articles in their portfolios! What I like the most about this forum is that some of the most successful members of C-C come here and share their knowledge with the rest of us who are struggling to get off on the right foot. Not everyone is in a giving mood you know, so I think these people deserve a big "thank you". We all know who they are, so there's no need to list them by name.

I'd love to tell you that I could help you promote your work on my blog, but it's fairly new -it's only had like 11 views so far! :P However, you can count me in on the teamwork! :wink:
codexehow

Post by codexehow »

I know this is an old thread, but I have something to add that might be important.

Realize that when you send a link through Twitter it gets pinged by all kinds of bots. I just made two test tweets in which i promoted some articles of mine with hastags and they each got 10 views within a few seconds. Most of these are bots.

That said, Twitter does have great potential if something gets retweeted. Maybe tweeting the URL of a blog post that is indirectly promoting CC articles but is also giving something of value to the reader would work well.