Proofreading and Editing Guides

A place where authors can exchange ideas or thoughts. Talk about what categories are hot and which ones are not.

Moderators: Celeste Stewart, Ed

KinsleyRoyale

Proofreading and Editing Guides

Post by KinsleyRoyale »

I'm taking some training to become a more proficient proofreader and editor. I'm Canadian but probably would work globally. The organization I'm training with suggests using the Chicago Manual of Style first then the AP Style book. I notice CC suggests Hodges' Harbrace Handbook.

Should I purchase one and if so which one should I start with?
Celeste Stewart

Re: Proofreading and Editing Guides

Post by Celeste Stewart »

Wow, Hodges' Harbrace Handbook is $100 bucks on Amazon. I've not used it personally, maybe because it's $100 bucks. For the money, I'd buy the following:
  • Strunk & White's The Elements of Style - a tiny book and a must for any writer (make sure to get the most current edition possible - this one dates back decades)
    AP Stylebook -- Associated Press style guide - widely accepted as an authority
    Yahoo! Style Guide (Web specific) - tons of info, style guidance, and specific Web stuff
    Noah Lukeman's A Dash of Style - literary agent shares the nuances of punctuation and style
    A good dictionary - dictionaries rule!
    Writer's Market Deluxe Edition - yearly book loaded with markets for writers (fiction and non) including requirements and contact info, tons of advice, online database (Deluxe Edition)
I bet you can get all of the above for less than $100 bucks or close to it - and get a solid bookshelf of resources. Not saying Hodge's isn't worth it (because I honestly don't know), just sayin'...
KinsleyRoyale

Post by KinsleyRoyale »

Thanks for the input Celeste. Also I was thinking it might be easier to look things up with an online version where I can search and arrive at the right page instead of having a book version. Any thoughts on that?
Celeste Stewart

Post by Celeste Stewart »

I believe Yahoo has a free version of its stylebook online.

For reference books, I generally prefer a real book. Seems like if its right there on my desk, I'll reach for it.