Another Grammar Question or Two

A place where authors can exchange ideas or thoughts. Talk about what categories are hot and which ones are not.

Moderators: Celeste Stewart, Ed

KinsleyRoyale

Another Grammar Question or Two

Post by KinsleyRoyale »

I'm brushing up on proofreading and grammar hoping to gain business that way. Maybe even become certified. Anyhow, I'm studying a new guidebook by the Canadian Editors' Association and this sentence was in their document. I feel if I'd sent this in to CC they would have said it was a run-on sentence. What do you think?
The editor is also part of a team that guides a work through its various stages from creation to publication, and must be familiar with, and respectful of, the contributions of others and collaborate effectively with all team members.
Also is there a rule for sometimes not putting a comma before "but"? Recently, in some books and articles I've read there has been no comma.
SJHillman

Re: Another Grammar Question or Two

Post by SJHillman »

I'm not sure what the Grammar Police would make of the sentence, but as a reader (the most important person to a writer) it comes across as a very clumsy sentence. I would have broken it into at least two sentences and probably have changed the phrasing a bit as well.
KinsleyRoyale

Re: Another Grammar Question or Two

Post by KinsleyRoyale »

I felt it was clumsy too. I had to read it two or three times which really shouldn't happen.