Finding Author By Category Not Working

A place where authors can exchange ideas or thoughts. Talk about what categories are hot and which ones are not.

Moderators: Celeste Stewart, Ed

Judith
Location: I may be found where mountains rise and rivers flow.

Finding Author By Category Not Working

Post by Judith »

The finding author by category function is not working for me. Is anyone else having this problem? I have a friend who wants a few articles on some topics I don't care to write about. I told her to go to the "find author" page and do a category search. She told me it didn't work. I thought she might not have understood the directions, but it didn't work for me either. I have tried each day for a week and it is still not working.
Celeste Stewart

Re: Finding Author By Category Not Working

Post by Celeste Stewart »

It's kind of funky. I just tried it and the initial step failed. BUT, if you click on Advanced Search after it fails, you'll be directed to a fill-in-the blanks search screen. Fill in the blanks as desired and then find the category. Make sure to click "Add Category" followed by clicking "Search." You may need to scroll down to see the results on the next page but they're there. I just searched for Beauty and a ton of writers came up.
Judith

Post by Judith »

Thanks Celeste! I'll give it a try.
Judith

Post by Judith »

I tried your suggestion, and I did get a list of authors. It was way too much for her to go through author after author trying to find an article she would purchase, She went through six authors and muttered something I won't repeat :) Usually when you enter a category search, the top ten or so writers come up. That way she could drop a note to any or all of them if she liked their work and wanted something specific. She is building a website on spiritualism and witchcraft. I am a Christian and she understands why I won't write those articles. I do write other types of articles for her but she needs someone who really knows this topic. She's been one of my clients for almost 12 years and I was hoping when I sent her here she would find a suitable writer for her needs. Is there something "broken" with the category list, or has CC just discontinued it?
Celeste Stewart

Post by Celeste Stewart »

In that case, I would avoid the "Find a Writer" screen and either just browse the Religion category or use the article search feature. I entered "wiccan" into the top search box and a few articles came up. From there, you could look at each writer's profile.
evaku

Post by evaku »

I've noticed that the Finding Author by Category stopped working just as soon as I worked very hard to get my name into the top 10 writers for the Religion catagory! There are definitely still great ways to search for the topics you need but still, it is a little disappointing! The system seems to be unable to separate the drop-down search from the type-box search above it, and so when I attempt to search by catagory it seems to think that I have typed "enter" into the search bar and lets me know that nothing has been found.

Obviously I can get over losing my status as part of the top 10 religion writers list :P, because that was just a feel-good thing (though I was hoping for a little possible exposure), but I do imagine this process being frustrating for potential customers, just as Judith described. You go there thinking you are going to search for the top writers in a chosen catagory, but because of a glitch it doesn't work as it's suppose to. I think someone should look into fixing it, because obviously it's meant to work the way it did a month ago, displaying the top writers in every catagory. Having the advanced search is totally fine, but this option should be fixed and available as well.
Word Gypsy

Post by Word Gypsy »

Hi Everyone,

Just wanted to let you know that this glitch is being worked on! I found this out from a reliable source. It just might take a bit longer though.

Evaku- Congrats on making it into the top ten category for Religion!

Have a great day,
WG
Judith

Post by Judith »

That's great news Word Gypsy! I had hoped by posting it I would possibly get some responses from writers here who would want to write for her, so she could send a private request to them. But nada... I did find her someone, but through my Linkedin. It was a good gig ... 80 articles total ... 10 a month @ $125.00 each. But I will tell her to keep checking back. She is one of my best web account clients and is expecting to add another 8 websites in the next 10 months.
Judith

Post by Judith »

Congratulations evaku!!! What a nice feeling that must have been!!
Constant

Post by Constant »

Apologies that this has been broken, guys. We have a fix nearly ready and will be rolling it out early next week. The bonus is that this is also going to update the search to make it much easier for writers to be discovered by clients.
Constant

Post by Constant »

Hey guys! This is now fixed, and we've also added the ability to let customers search by subject and show how many articles you've written that match the search.
Judith

Post by Judith »

Great!!!