Another pirate?

A place where authors can exchange ideas or thoughts. Talk about what categories are hot and which ones are not.

Moderators: Celeste Stewart, Ed

Sharion

Another pirate?

Post by Sharion »

I found one of my articles posted on WideDiary.com. I notified them yesterday to pull the article or I would file a DMCA notice. This morning it is still there so I filed the DMCA. The Whois shows that the registrant is out of India.

It's a blog with categories of Business/Finance, Health/Fitness, and Web. If you have articles in these categories, you might want to go look for them.

Note that they changed my title, adding one word, so don't search by title alone. They had to know what they were doing because my excerpts clearly state at the bottom: "This is an excerpt representing 1/3 of the article. For permission to use this article in full or in part, please purchase rights."

Perhaps I should replace "please" with "you must" in the statement?
Sharion

Re: Another pirate?

Post by Sharion »

After notifying the website, then filing a DMCA, and 24 hours later reporting it to the wondrous folks who run CC, it has been taken down.

I highly recommend that authors keep tabs on their unsold articles using Google Alerts or a similar program. I always set up several search strings prior to submitting an article to CC, to ensure no lag time from when the article goes public to when it is monitored for theft.

Assuming that some will change the title as this person did, I include strings from within the article as well.