Diary of a newly committed author

A place where authors can exchange ideas or thoughts. Talk about what categories are hot and which ones are not.

Moderators: Celeste Stewart, Ed

ShannonA

Diary of a newly committed author

Post by ShannonA »

Hello everyone!

I've read the forums a lot and wanted to contribute so I'm starting this thread to document my Constant Content experience as it happens. I know that many new authors are often curious about how it works and I'd like to give information that may be helpful.

Some background: I was accepted as an author on CC about a year and a half ago. I wrote a half dozen articles and have had five sales since then (some for usage, some full rights). I decided to return and focus more seriously on writing content consistently. I work full-time but would really like the extra funds to help pay for some things that don't fit within our existing budget.

Here's what I've done so far:

April 5 - submitted three articles. One was approved without edits, one was rejected due to one minor change (which I made and then resubmitted) and one was rejected for not providing enough detail to be helpful to the reader (I disagree since this article contains the steps I just followed to complete a DIY project on our house but I'm not arguing the point and will not be resubmitting that one).

April 8 - submitted four articles which are still pending review (a couple were just articles I wrote previously for other sites that I edited slightly to be used on CC and offered them for usage here). The article I resubmitted from April 5 is also still pending review.

I hope to add to this as I go and hopefully will be able to start mentioning some sales in the near future. :)
ShannonA

Re: Diary of a newly committed author

Post by ShannonA »

April 9 - wrote 3 articles but could only submit 2. I got a message after submitting the second one that I had reached my limit of 6 articles pending review. The limit will be lifted after I have 10 articles approved. I have 7 right now. It's a little frustrating that the pending articles aren't approved yet but I'm just going to keep writing since eventually everything will get submitted and approved.
ShannonA

Post by ShannonA »

April 10 - had 3 articles reviewed and rejected for varying levels of issues. Feeling silly after seeing the feedback. Submitted one longer piece today. Hoping to see more articles reviewed and approved tomorrow especially since I've seen some articles sold recently on topics I've written about.
ShannonA

Post by ShannonA »

April 11 - wrote two articles but couldn't submit both due to the limit of 6 pending review until 10 articles are approved. One of my resubmitted articles was accepted so I'm up to 8 accepted now with 6 pending review and 2 that were resubmitted.
ShannonA

Post by ShannonA »

April 12 - all of my resubmitted articles were accepted so I now have more than 10 accepted articles and won't have the limit of 6 pending review. I submitted one article today that I wasn't able to submit yesterday but didn't write anything new.

Side note: does anybody know if we are allowed to discuss our sales here? Once I start to make sales, I'd love to keep a running tally just to show the progression as I add more articles but don't want to violate any rules in the process.
ShannonA

Post by ShannonA »

April 13-15 - all pending articles were reviewed. Some were approved and some were returned for corrections.

I've been accepted as a writer for a company that has daily writing assignments that I will complete and then will be able to receive another, for a total of a few articles per day. I'm guaranteed to get paid for each article and will receive the funds weekly. There's a training phase right now so I may continue to post to CC until the writing for that site is fully ramped up, but it doesn't look like I will continue to submit as much here as I have been for the past couple of weeks.
jadedragon

Post by jadedragon »

Interesting thread... I look forward to seeing your progress.

The pay will be less per article on the other site but the guaranteed payment is attractive.
You can save research time by writing articles on the same topics as you get assignments for on the other site. That site must think they have hot topics to be willing to pay up front for the articles, so the topics should sell here too.
I see no reason you can't talk about sales in the forum.

I need to get writing more so thanks for the inspiration.