Still no sales!

A place where authors can exchange ideas or thoughts. Talk about what categories are hot and which ones are not.

Moderators: Celeste Stewart, Ed

Isabelnewth

Still no sales!

Post by Isabelnewth »

I've got about 16 articles up I think and none sold, is this a record? What is the largest number of articles anyone has had accepted by CC before a sale? I mean articles by people who have gone on to sell a fair amount....Am I flogging a dead horse or am I a lightweight who needs to persist with the flogging?

from discouraged of Hythe.
JoyRCalderwood

Re: Still no sales!

Post by JoyRCalderwood »

I know how frustrated you feel as I have felt that way often.

How long have they been up?

I didn't sell any for about a month and a half at first. Apparently when I sold 3 in the first three months I was told that was good. I just sold one that I posted a year ago. If they are worthwhile, one day they should sell.

I've noticed recently I haven't had as many sales as usual which is disappointing. Not sure why this happens. All I can say is don't quit your day job, unfortuantely. Do what you can to point buyers to this site.
SJHillman

Post by SJHillman »

Are you covering a wide variety of topics or just sticking to a niche? If you're aiming for a niche, then it may take a while for any articles to sell but there's a decent chance that you'll sell a lot at once if the right buyer happens by. On the other end of the spectrum, if the topics you're covering are already covered by a lot of authors, then they may not sell unless you have a unique angle or fresh information. If you're just aching for that first sale, a good tactic would be to cover several different niche areas - seasonal articles and current events sell well. My first few sales were about improving gas mileage, winterizing your car, etc.

At any rate, keep writing and don't worry too much if you don't have many sales. March seems to be a slow sales month for me as well.
Evelyn

Post by Evelyn »

Yep, same for me. It was 5 weeks before my first article sold and I'd posted 34 by then. My mistake in the beginning was posting for usage rights only... When I put up good full rights articles, sales picked up. A really amazing thing happened when I posted 10 on the same subject with similar titles--all of them sold and I got a long-term private request customer to boot. This stroke of luck happened twice, in fact.

One of my earliest articles sold after 152 views, and another is still sitting there with 183 views.

Supply C-C with a steady flow of good stuff and keep your other opportunities simmering. Keep us updated on your progress, and good luck!
Lysis

Post by Lysis »

I think I had 20 articles up before I made a sale.
Isabelnewth

Post by Isabelnewth »

Thanks everyone! I have had a sale at last, so feeling less discouraged but if I had a day-job I wouldn't be giving it up quite yet. Cheers.