Selling Articles

A place where authors can exchange ideas or thoughts. Talk about what categories are hot and which ones are not.

Moderators: Celeste Stewart, Ed

talliecat

Selling Articles

Post by talliecat »

I'm not sure who posted the original comment but I would like thank whoever it was that advised not to drop prices just to sell articles. I'm fairly new to the site and had several offers on one of my articles that were way below what I was asking for it. I was tempted to to accept just so that I'd feel better that I'd sold an article but in the end, going by the advice given on the site, I refused to accept the low offers. Sure enough I have now sold the article for my asking price. Yes, it took a month or so longer but I think it was definitely worth it as I ended up getting three times what was originally offered.
SJHillman

Re: Selling Articles

Post by SJHillman »

The first article I sold I accepted a somewhat lowball offer, although it wasn't as insultingly low as some people have gotten offers for. It was a nice little hands-on introduction to how CC works and I don't regret losing out on the extra $8 I would have gotten at the asking price. Having bounced around various freelance sites, I needed that little bit of inspiration to stick with writing here. Since then, I haven't accepted any offers asking for more than 10% off of my asking price and it feels good. The fact that it was niche article also played into my decision to accept a lower offer than I was hoping for.
mnicol22

Re: Selling Articles

Post by mnicol22 »

The whole pricing thing can be a bit baffling. I'm relatively new here as well and I've only got about 10 articles in my portfolio so far. After reading all the information about pricing on the forum, I decided to go with a fixed per-word rate and maybe raise the price a bit if the topic is more demanding. I also resolved to keep my hands off the Offer button until I have given my articles a decent chance to sell at my asking price. I don't know if that's the right thing to do but, to me, it feels right at this point. After all, if we all start selling ourselves short, CC will eventually become yet another "bidding" site.

SJ: Inspiration, yes! It's a big deal to keep you going! I had only sold one article so far, so my morale had began to plummet. Today, I received that sweet little message again, saying "Article Sold", and I was bouncing up and down like crazy! It's not the amount of money that was awesome -it was only a $20 usage licence. But you get to realize that, if you keep on writing, your articles will eventually sell. I'm actually more excited to write now than I've ever been! :)