Bulletpoints

A place where authors can exchange ideas or thoughts. Talk about what categories are hot and which ones are not.

Moderators: Celeste Stewart, Ed

mnicol22

Bulletpoints

Post by mnicol22 »

I have a 1200 words article that was originally intended for a website that deals with Asperger's Syndrome at work. It is supposed to be a how-to guide for job interviews, so I organized it in bulletpoints to make it more simple and straightforward for the intended audience. Do you think I will have trouble with that? I really don't want to change its format because I think it will lose its actual purpose. I've spent a lot of time researching and writing it and I think it's very useful (unless it's just sitting on my computer!) but I'm not sure if I can submit it here. Any ideas?
jellygator

Re: Bulletpoints

Post by jellygator »

I could be wrong, but I seem to remember that bullet points are discouraged, especially without further description of the point being raised. Subheadings are what I've used, and I haven't had any revisions over them.
mnicol22

Post by mnicol22 »

Hello jellygator!

Actually, it's not a list-like article. I explain each and every step of the process (that's the point of it anyway) but I had to use bulletpoints in order to organize the information in the article. It looks something like this:

(Introduction)

Before the interview:

Locate the place on the map: If the interview is held at a place where you’ve never been before, try to find exactly where it is and make a detailed plan of the route. Better yet, you can visit the place beforehand so that you will have a rough estimate of the time it will take you to get there. This will help you plan your time more accurately. Being on time for the interview is essential, as arriving late may be seen as irresponsible or careless.

Research the company you’re applying for: Take some time to look at the company’s website or any reviews available about it. This will give you an idea of how the company works, as well as its aspirations and policies. It may also prove helpful for the interview itself, as many interviewers like to ask about the reasons you chose to apply for a position at that specific company. Having read a few things about your potential employers will show that you are genuinely interested in working with them.

During the interview

Same as above....

Additional tips
Lysis

Post by Lysis »

Before Ed stopped posting, he said that bullets are OK, but you can't have an article with just all bullet points. Some things have changed, but if they don't explicitly state it in the writer guidelines, then I think it's OK still.
mnicol22

Post by mnicol22 »

Thank you, Lysis. I saw this on the writer's guidelines, so I suppose it's ok:

If you wish to create a list of tips, steps, or items, each list item must be accompanied by an explanation. We cannot accept submissions that are simply lists

I will submit it anyway, including a note to the editor explaining that this format was used for the benefit of the intended reader. In the worst-case scenario, it will be rejected. :wink:
Celeste Stewart

Post by Celeste Stewart »

From a Web usability standpoint, bullet points make it easy for readers to quickly scan and find information. I've also heard that having keywords featured in bullet lists is good in terms of SEO as well. Just make sure that you use the lists in a manner that makes sense with short paragraphs introducing each set of bullets. It sounds like your concept should be fine.
TamathaCampbell

Post by TamathaCampbell »

For what it's worth, in my experience as a newbie here, I did write an article with the kind of bullet-point format you are describing (i.e., bullet with explanation). It was approved without changes, and sold within minutes of approval.
Judith
Location: I may be found where mountains rise and rivers flow.

Post by Judith »

I have submitted a number of articles with bullets that have been accepted. Bullets work well with certain types of articles, and I believe that's the key. Formulate your content in your mind with bullets and without. Decide which works best, and go with it.
mnicol22

Post by mnicol22 »

Thank you guys for all the helpful replies! I already submitted the article with a note to the editor that this format was used with the specific target audience in mind. I don't really think that it will be a problem, but who knows? I'll let you know when I have an answer! :)
mnicol22

Post by mnicol22 »

I just got an answer, it turns out that this format is fine, so I was just asked to remove the note to the editor. I resubmitted it today. :)