Panda Update & Usage License Question

A place where authors can exchange ideas or thoughts. Talk about what categories are hot and which ones are not.

Moderators: Celeste Stewart, Ed

MicheleH

Panda Update & Usage License Question

Post by MicheleH »

Hi All!

I'm new here but have been doing web writing for a number of years. Submitted my first article yesterday, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed that my grammar and usage stands up to a real editorial review.

Anyway, I've been wondering about how Panda has impacted the sales of pieces here under Usage Rights. Google has made it more clear than ever that they dislike duplicate content. When I posted my first article, I was tempted to put the Usage Rights price at the same rate as Full Rights. Seems like once someone buys the right to use the article that it would be worth substantially less to anyone else.

That said, I generally like the idea of offering Usage Rights. I'm just wondering how many of you sell more than one license for Usage Rights on the same article and if you ever earn at least the original Full Usage Rights price.

Thanks,

Michele

p.s. Happy Mother's Day to all the moms around here!
JStone

Re: Panda Update & Usage License Question

Post by JStone »

Hello and welcome :)

I've found that selling an article for usage rights usually means that I won't make another sale on that article, so I prefer to sell for full rights....having said that, one article I wrote about olive oil has sold four separate times for usage rights. The panda update doesn't seem to have made any difference in that respect....it's much the same as it was before.
jadedragon

Post by jadedragon »

Some usage sales make sense. Buyers might use it in a newsletter or in print. My first sale was a short article describing nutritional yeast that landed on a page selling the product. That buyer is just looking to provide more info, not attract search engines so much.
MicheleH

Post by MicheleH »

JStone wrote:Hello and welcome :)

I've found that selling an article for usage rights usually means that I won't make another sale on that article, so I prefer to sell for full rights....having said that, one article I wrote about olive oil has sold four separate times for usage rights. The panda update doesn't seem to have made any difference in that respect....it's much the same as it was before.
Thank you for the welcome. Since you prefer selling full rights, do you price usage and full rights the same or just hope that people buy it outright before someone buys just rights?

jadedragon wrote:Some usage sales make sense. Buyers might use it in a newsletter or in print. My first sale was a short article describing nutritional yeast that landed on a page selling the product. That buyer is just looking to provide more info, not attract search engines so much.
That makes sense. Do you tend to price articles differently if you think they may not be used for SEO purposes?
jadedragon

Post by jadedragon »

I rice based on effort required to write and technical level of the article. Not an exact science.

If you want to, just price all the rights the same. Or, rice usage less and if you get a usage sale go place the article on a revenue share site right away too.
JStone

Post by JStone »

MicheleH wrote:
JStone wrote:Hello and welcome :)

Thank you for the welcome. Since you prefer selling full rights, do you price usage and full rights the same or just hope that people buy it outright before someone buys just rights?
I usually set usage rights at about 2/3 the price of full rights. I price usage rights at the bare-minimum rate I'm happy to accept for the article...then even if I only sell usage rights once, at least I've been paid minimum wage. Personally I think it's worth offering usage rights at a lower rate than full rights, because you reach a wider range of customers...and some customers (assuming they like your work) will become regular clients.