ALERT! ARTICLES STOLEN

A place where authors can exchange ideas or thoughts. Talk about what categories are hot and which ones are not.

Moderators: Celeste Stewart, Ed

HayleyWriter

ALERT! ARTICLES STOLEN

Post by HayleyWriter »

Hi all,

I just found a site that has stolen 80 of my articles from the LONG Summary on CC. :!: I have notified Support. I recognised many other articles from writers here on CC, including Celeste, Antonia, Peggy Tee, Zabrina, Word Gypsy, Gail Gill, and others. Please check the site and notify Support of any of your articles that have been stolen on the site. This will help Support to fight this creep legally. The website link is: http://en.freesion.com.

Hayley
Lori

Re: ALERT! ARTICLES STOLEN

Post by Lori »

Yep! I checked one of mine and it was there also. I'll be checking the rest immediately. Since I'm still new here, what sort of recourse do we have? I noticed at the bottom of the site, they indicate to let them know of any infringement and they will delete immediately. Should we do that as indivduals or let support handle it?

Grrrrrr!!

Still searching and just found a "Weave Your Writing Time Into Your Daily Life" article. I know this was just posted on the board as a new article. Everyone needs to check this site. I've already seen numerous CC articles on here.
Lori

Post by Lori »

I've been looking through the site and I recognize a lot of content. It seems to me that they're copying everything on CC.

I've checked all of my articles and every one of them is on this site. I want to caution everyone that it takes a while to find them...I had to go through pages and pages, even with the search feature, which doesn't work well.

I'm definitely not a computer expert, but I wonder if there is any way to make the short summary area a sort of "read only" or possibly even put some sort of watermark on the background that would be copied also if they tried to copy the content?
aprilk10

Post by aprilk10 »

Hmmm...the link only takes me to "this page cannot be found." Has it been taken down already?
HayleyWriter

Post by HayleyWriter »

Looks that way. I hope so!
aprilk10

Post by aprilk10 »

I, too, have wondered about how to better protect our articles from content thieves. With the recent changes in Google, I foresee this being an even bigger problem that it already is. Not only with thieves, but possibly clients returning an article because it ended up not being original (because a content thief had stolen it from here). From what I understand, Google is really coming down now on duplicate content.
Constant

Post by Constant »

We contacted the site owner yesterday afternoon and the site was removed shortly after. Thanks to everyone for reporting this to us.

We'll be looking at ways to enhance protection of the long summaries of articles this week, so we should have an update for you all on that very soon.