Potential Purchaser asking for changes/customization

A place where authors can exchange ideas or thoughts. Talk about what categories are hot and which ones are not.

Moderators: Celeste Stewart, Ed

cmcmahon66

Potential Purchaser asking for changes/customization

Post by cmcmahon66 »

I have been messaged by a potential purchaser of a legal-oriented article who wants some content specific to their state added, and said that they would supply some research links, as well as typical call-to-action kind of conclusion stuff. They said that they cannot see the whole text of the article until they purchase it so it's hard for them to be more specific about what they need.

I'm willing to make the changes as they are reasonable and they are looking for a reasonable time frame for turnaround, but I'm not sure how to proceed in this and was wondering if others have any experience. One possibility is adding to the total asking prices of the article to cover the changes, have them purchase it, then hope that what they actually ask for ends up being covered by the payment. Obviously that would be a leap of faith on both sides.

It seems like I was requested to make small changes to an article a long time ago but I don't remember how it was handled. I've never done direct request articles on here except for some "team" assignments in the olden dates of 2014 or 2015 but it's been a long time.

Any suggestsions/experience with this?

Thanks,
Colleen
Gauderbock

Re: Potential Purchaser asking for changes/customization

Post by Gauderbock »

I'd agree a rough estimate of how much the changes would cost, then ask them to buy the article and put in a revision request with the estimated fee attached. If the work seems reasonable, all's good. If not, they can always agree a new revision price or return the sale, and no one's lost out.
cmcmahon66

Re: Potential Purchaser asking for changes/customization

Post by cmcmahon66 »

Thank you! This was very helpful. I have written back to the client and we'll see what happens from there. I appreciate you taking the time to answer me!