How long does it take for SEO to work?

A place where authors can exchange ideas or thoughts. Talk about what categories are hot and which ones are not.

Moderators: Celeste Stewart, Ed

chachini

How long does it take for SEO to work?

Post by chachini »

How long does it take for SEO to work? In your experience how long does it take for SEO to work. For example, if you posted 20 links to a website how long would it take before the links had a beneficial effect in Google's Search Engine? Also, if you made 10 new original, well written pages for a website, how long would it take for those to do the same?

[URLs removed]
Last edited by chachini on Sat May 15, 2010 12:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
jadedragon

Re: How long does it take for SEO to work?

Post by jadedragon »

Wow, there is no exact answer to these questions. A number of factors come into play including the age and popularity of your main site and the popularity of the sites that you create links on.

Adding content (new articles, blog comments) regularly gets Google's attention. When I post new articles to my blog and then go do a Google search for the keywords right away, Google has already indexed the post. However, there are reasons for this super fast indexing speed. Partly it is things I control directly - I post regularly, encourage comments, and repost automatically to YouSayToo for a nice strong backlink to each post. Also indirectly encouraged by me, are a number of thin blogs that repost short summaries or post titles with links back. They are using my RSS feed. Also I auto ping various services. I do not submit pages to Google or any other search engine manually, that is so 1990s.

Even for a new site, adding new links and posting new content should help you out within a day or two even on a very new site. The effect will depend on how competitive your keywords are of course.

10 pages of unique content and 20 solid backlinks is a really good start and enough to get you found if you are targeting a niche that is not flooded with competition. Good luck :)
Elizabeth Ann West

Post by Elizabeth Ann West »

Submitting pages to search engines may not help much in terms of ranking, but Google Webmaster Tools will show how many backlinks it registers as attached to your page. As will Yahoo. This is helpful to make sure you aren't putting links up on "No Follow" sites. It took my site 2 weeks to get to #73 in my #1 keyword. I still have a lot of work to do :/
Lysis

Post by Lysis »

First, don't spam Google. You'll piss them off, and you really don't want to piss them off. Just submit your site through WMT.

Backlinks are just one of at least 200 factors in ranking. Cheap backlinks from places like directories might get you a PR increase in the next PR update, but they often lose value and your PR goes down.

Google will clear a website's PR (set it to 0) if they find a site selling links, so buying links from link exchange directories is not really helpful in the long run.

Lots of people swear by creating articles and submitting them to ezine sites, but the best thing to do is to take those 10 articles and place them on your OWN site. Keyword density is a bunch of nonsense. Like my fellow TC says, do you really think if I have a keyword term in my article 100 times and you have it 105 times that you will outrank me based on that? No. Just write naturally. Google does penalize on keyword stuffed crap.

Rank in Google can NEVER be guaranteed. NO ONE can guarantee you rank in google. If they do, they are lying. Ranking has several factors, and Google changes their algorithm on an average of over once a day (they publicly admit to changing it ~500 times last year).

I've seen websites tank after years online. The best thing to do is make yourself familiar with Google's guideline and keep working on your site (add great content). Rank is a longterm ordeal and it takes work to gain organic rank.
gowriter

Post by gowriter »

It's a combination of on-page and off-page optimization, meaning how well you optimise your website as well as the backlinking.

It's true that Google measures over 200 criteria to determine ranking, but perhaps the biggest factor why your web page is ranking on page 6 instead of page 1 has to do with the strength of competition for the keyword in your content.

If your competitor's sites are well optimized (title tags, meta description, h1, h2, etc.), and they've been linking to good authority sites, it will be tough to outrank them unless you do some massive backlinking. However, if your site is not well optimized, no matter how well you backlink, you might as well be sprinting wearing one shoe. It will take a while to catch up.

Sometimes you'll just have to choose a keyword that's a less competitive. I'd invest in Market Samurai. Not only does it tell you which keywords have decent traffic with low competition, but it also tells you which ones are likely to make money.
cristinamartine

Post by cristinamartine »

Well I think, that the SEO is never finished, just like marketing and public relations are never finished. SEO is a long-term strategy that needs to be a permanent part of how you operate online.
Tiktok

Post by Tiktok »

There is no fixed time limit. It depends how you are working on the seo project. What planning you will obtaining to reach higher ranking. But atleast you can estimate that it will take 6 months. Even you can see the desired results with in 2 months.
sheilawhite

Post by sheilawhite »

For me it depends on the strategy you used.

< Evelyn edited to remove URL>