What the heck is going on?

A place where authors can exchange ideas or thoughts. Talk about what categories are hot and which ones are not.

Moderators: Celeste Stewart, Ed

Words4Bread

What the heck is going on?

Post by Words4Bread »

Hi folks,

So, I've several hundred dollars just sitting there while CC try and figure out what's gone wrong with their payment processor (namely, PayPal) and look at alternatives. Annoying as this is, I understand they're working on it and that the dollars are safe. But what freaketh me out somewhat is to see that SITE-WIDE sales over the last week or so have struggled to exceed 6 or 7 (low-grade, $25-type) articles a day. One day showed only TWO articles sold.

So, what the frook is going on?
MordantC

Re: What the heck is going on?

Post by MordantC »

The same thing happened to me. I have lost a regular client because of this and am making no sales. It's very disappointing.
dbvirago

Post by dbvirago »

This place has been going downhill for a while. I quit uploading here in January, but I still sell some stuff.

A month later and they still can't figure this out. Now they want me to email my bank routing and account number to a staff that clearly doesn't have their act together.

I'll be pulling all unsold articles immediately.
Pellucidean

Post by Pellucidean »

I'll link to a Reddit thread where a little more information has been posted (albeit not by anyone from Constant Content themselves). https://yb.reddit.com/r/freelanceWriter ... t_payment/

If you scroll down you'll see one user got an email with additional information. Apparently CC is in the process of integrating with a new payments processor but that process can take two to three weeks.
FireHorse

Post by FireHorse »

Has anyone had any further information on payment?
Judith
Location: I may be found where mountains rise and rivers flow.

Post by Judith »

Credit Card Launderer for Tech Support Scams to Pay $6.75 Million to Settle FTC Charges

https://www.ftc.gov/news-events/press-r ... ion-settle

https://www.ftc.gov/system/files/docume ... vcomp3.pdf

Unfortunately for all of us, Revenue Wire owns Constant-Content. The money for the articles we sell may very well be used towards this 6.75 million. Maybe not... maybe we will get paid someday, but I am not holding my breath. Meanwhile I will not be writing and submitting any more articles. I've done well here, but it looks like those days are over.

Good luck to all of you in your future writing endeavors. I have my own writing website, and I will concentrate on developing that further.
Pellucidean

Post by Pellucidean »

That Reddit thread I linked to above includes posts by people who said they did get paid via bank transfer. I don't think us never getting paid at all is likely. The problem is that CC is switching payments processors right now, which apparently takes a few weeks. These events are certainly very bad, but I think we will all certainly get our money since some folks already have got their money. The real bad part of this is that sales on the site may take a large and perhaps permanent drop.
dbvirago

Post by dbvirago »

I'm not going to give a company indicted for money laundering access to my banking information.
Word Gypsy

Post by Word Gypsy »

Did anyone hear anything about new options for processing payments for August?
J. A. Young

Post by J. A. Young »

Hey Gypsy--check your email. You should have gotten an updated payment info message from the site. They have a new payment processing method. I just filled out my info but have some questions so I'm not 100% clear on how it works--if it goes to my bank directly or if I have to transfer manually as with paypal. I did get paid last time so if you provided your info to Renee, you hopefully were paid by now.
Word Gypsy

Post by Word Gypsy »

Thanks J.A.! I never got the email, and I checked my spam as well. I reached out to Renee yesterday, so hopefully, all goes well. Thanks again for your reply! WG~
Isabelnewth

Post by Isabelnewth »

I got the email today but I am uncomfortable about giving the info they want. I imagine one would get paid, but there could still be problems later on if the information isn't kept secure. Is there anyone here with knowledge of this sort of issue who could advise? Cheers!
Word Gypsy

Post by Word Gypsy »

Hi, I did a bit of research before making my decision to sign up with Stripe. It looks reputable, despite its quirky set up. Here's a link from Forbes that may ease your worries: https://www.forbes.com/sites/christiano ... 956f14c964

Information isn't safe anywhere, so just be cautious and pay attention to your checking account or debit card. Most of the complaints I've seen about Stripe have been about slow payment processing.

At the moment, my CC balance is listed both at CC and at Stripe, so who knows where my money really is. CC says they need my link, and Stripe says they don't need a link.
As far as I can tell, your money goes to Stripe and then they transfer it to the account that you set up. You can only use a debit card or checking account.

Hope this helps,
WG~
Isabelnewth

Post by Isabelnewth »

Thanks for that WG! The email I got didnt mention Stripe: it just asked for my bank details so CC could send me the money direct, I think.. I think maybe it's because I am in the UK. The sender (cant remember her name) said that it was a temporary fix, and there would be a long term solution hopefully mid-August. I can wait for that (and hope that CC doesnt disappear in the meantime!)
MordantC

Post by MordantC »

I didn't receive an email either. I also haven't received the payment I was expecting, despite CC having my bank details. I sent an email this morning but so far I've only got back an automated response.

I really don't appreciate this.