Wordiness, Revisited

A place where authors can exchange ideas or thoughts. Talk about what categories are hot and which ones are not.

Moderators: Celeste Stewart, Ed

Ed

Wordiness, Revisited

Post by Ed »

Hi Writers,

Let's discuss the topic of wordiness again. Not only should you seek to use the most efficient, effective language that you can while focusing on clarity, you should also strive to eliminate words or phrases that add nothing to the piece. These include:

Often
Very
Basically
Quite
A bit
Slightly
Rather

The following page presents ways to eliminate unnecessary wording.
http://owl.english.purdue.edu/owl/resource/572/02/

Please explore the additional information in this lesson. The links at the bottom of this document will take you to the other three pages on this topic.

What are some "wordy words" that you have sought to eliminate from your writing?

Ed
evie

Re: Wordiness, Revisited

Post by evie »

The word I struggle with is 'also'. Ed you might laugh as my work still probably contains a lot of instances of 'also' but believe me, I take out about 5 every time I edit!
Lysis

Post by Lysis »

Oh yeah, I'm guilty.

You forgot one - "unique"

Not very many things are unique, and all that grammar jazz.
SamSimmons

Post by SamSimmons »

[quote="evie"]The word I struggle with is 'also'. Ed you might laugh as my work still probably contains a lot of instances of 'also' but believe me, I take out about 5 every time I edit![/quote]

I hear you on that one. "Also" and "as well" are terms I find myself using all too often ( Also, I tend to use "often" to often as well! haha )

Sam
Lysis

Post by Lysis »

I blame the vino.