Constructive Criticism Thread

A place where authors can exchange ideas or thoughts. Talk about what categories are hot and which ones are not.

Moderators: Celeste Stewart, Ed

WordCraft

Re: Constructive Criticism Thread

Post by WordCraft »

One-dollar, yes.

Yes, the renters' explanation would be useful Celeste!
Evelyn

Post by Evelyn »

Wouldn't you write $1 fountain drink, 50 cent cookie, and 75 cent savings? Or am I terribly gauche... :(

If not, one-dollar fountain drink would probably be best.
Celeste Stewart

Post by Celeste Stewart »

The Yahoo! Style Guide says: For prices of a dollar or more, use numerals and the $ symbol: a $6 coffee. . . For prices under a dollar, use the cents with the numeral: 89 cents.

So, if you go with Yahoo!'s style, it would be: I bought a $1 fountain drink and a 50 cent (50-cent?) cookie.

AP Stylebook is similar. It specifies using the numeral and cents for amounts less than a dollar as in 50 cents (instead of fifty cents).
WordCraft

Post by WordCraft »

Depends, I guess. I would still use "one-dollar" if making a reference to something that was cheap (though not necessarily literally a dollar). I'd not use a "$" sign in a story, for example; but in a practical article it'd be different.
MelissaNott

Post by MelissaNott »

Thanks for all the info about money and prices. I found Yahoo's Style Guide online, went back, and made some corrections. Here is one of the paragraphs in question:

**deleted content here***

It just seems like "half a thousand dollars" should not be written with numerals. What do you think?

Missy
Last edited by MelissaNott on Sun Sep 12, 2010 11:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Celeste Stewart

I like the way you have it. Spelling out half a thousand dollars gives it more impact than $500.
MelissaNott

Post by MelissaNott »

Did I post too much of my article above? Will there now be problems with it passing Copyscape?
Missy
Celeste Stewart

It should be fine. If you want to go in and delete it, you can.
MysteryMan

Post by MysteryMan »

Turns out this seven month old computer has crashed and had Windows Vista reinstalled five times.
FondRegards

Post by FondRegards »

Hi Celeste
How about this?

Crashes on this seven month old computer have already necessitated five windows Vista reinstallations!
cdoug

Post by cdoug »

I don't really know the context of the line, but I'ma take a stab anyway:

This seven-month-old computer has crashed and had Windows Vista reinstalled five times!

Crashes on this seven-month-old computer have required five Windows Vista reinstallations!

With maybe tacking on an "already" somewhere if the tone is extra-casual, or losing the exclamation point if it needs to sound more matter-of-fact.

Alternately:

The computer is only seven months old, yet crashes are such a frequent problem that it has already had Windows Vista reinstalled five times.

In seven months of use, this computer has needed five Windows Vista reinstallations.

Age of the computer: Seven months. Number of Windows Vista installations: Five.

Okay, done now. Was having fun. Tell them to use Windows 7. :P
Whiskey

Post by Whiskey »

We offer custom social media, content writing, and graphic design services.

or

We offer custom social media services, content writing services, and graphic design services.
Celeste Stewart

I'd go with the first as it's not so redundant. However, I'd reorder the series mainly because "custom social media" on its own seems awkward or incomplete to me:

We offer custom content writing, graphic design, and social media services.
cdoug

Post by cdoug »

Agree with Celeste, though I like the cadence of "custom graphic design . . ." better for some reason, so I'd swap those two in her example.
Lor

Post by Lor »

I haven't written for CC in a while and my first article reviewed gets a no go for grammar. In particular "A perennial is a plant that dies back the ground in fall ... [grammar]" I'm sorry, but how is that bad grammar? I don't mean to sound argumentative, but I just don't see it. Any thoughts?