Constructive Criticism Thread

A place where authors can exchange ideas or thoughts. Talk about what categories are hot and which ones are not.

Moderators: Celeste Stewart, Ed

WaldorfPC

Re: Constructive Criticism Thread

Post by WaldorfPC »

Thanks so much, Ed. for starting this thread. I wish I would have found it before I posted my question in the rejection forum. Now that i know that i cannot post the entire article, as it will no longer be original if I had, I'm going to look through it again. Then, I'll submit and pray to God it is accepted. Thanks so much for your time in helping out so much.
cgardener

Post by cgardener »

I've read this a dozen times, and it just doesn't sound right. Can someone please tell me if it's o.k., and if not, what's wrong?

In some cases, the soil never clears itself completely of all chemicals. Because of this, there are limits set for chemicals that can remain in the ground, and the land still be considered organic.
Ed

Post by Ed »

I would say that the soil doesn't "rid" itself completely of chemicals. And then something like, "As a result, regulations permit a certain amount of these chemicals to be present in organic soil."

Someone else may have a better suggestion, but a different look might help get your brain juices flowing.
Celeste Stewart

Post by Celeste Stewart »

In some cases, chemicals remain in the soil. As a result, regulations allow "organic" soil to contain trace amounts of chemicals within specific limits.
Lor

Post by Lor »

Or ...

A certain amount of trace chemicals <i>can<i\> remain in the soil, so limits have been set, in order for the soil to be considered organic.

Lorraine
cgardener

Post by cgardener »

Thanks! See, I knew you guys would have it right. I just couldn't think!
cgardener

How to make this acceptable

Post by cgardener »

I'm working on a humorous piece about cats, and I would like to know how to make this phrase acceptable. If I leave out the exclamation, it takes away from the humorous impact, but I don't know how to put it in there to make it not get rejected.

Bam! - your cat will be there, right underfoot, very quickly.
Celeste Stewart

Post by Celeste Stewart »

Is "Bam!" the first part of the sentence or in the middle as in:
Blah, blah, blah - Bam! - your cat will be there, right underfoot, very quickly.

If so, then setting "Bam!" apart with dashes should be fine. I'd include the exclamation.

If no, I'd do this:
Bam! Your cat will be there, right underfoot, very quickly.

However, I would tighten it up as "very quickly" is weak language and Bam! demands something with more punch. Think of more descriptive words for "very quickly" such as "pronto" or use punctuation or short sentences to imply speed.

Bam! Your cat appears - pronto!

Bam! Your cat pounces on your feet.

Bam! Who's that underfoot? Your cat.

Bam! In a split second, your cat appears.

Let me add that when you want a fast pace, short sentences (even one or two words) are a terrific way to lend a sense of urgency, action, and speed. "Your cat will be there, right underfoot, very quickly" is a very slow feeling sentence and counteracts what I think you are trying to accomplish.
cgardener

Post by cgardener »

Thanks Celeste.
cgardener

Post by cgardener »

I've read at the Purdue site, but I still can't figure out where the commas go in this sentence. Help!

Often, just starting out with something like "Please don't read this as anger, because it's not" will avoid misinterpretations in written communications.
BarryDavidson

Post by BarryDavidson »

Is it the article that was moved somewhere else?
BarryDavidson

Post by BarryDavidson »

I'm having trouble deciding where "10 Reasons to Savor Being Single" goes. For once, I feel there are too many categories. (Perhaps not enough?)

Either way, any help on this one would be appreciated.
Ed

Post by Ed »

You can put it under "relationships" or "lifestyles."
BarryDavidson

Post by BarryDavidson »

Thanks Ed...

I'd already looked through the subcategories of a dozen others. Looks like lifestyles has a place for "single".
Ed

Post by Ed »

The main cat heading is fine. The search just doesn't like it if you stop at "Articles."