Plagiarism

A place where authors can exchange ideas or thoughts. Talk about what categories are hot and which ones are not.

Moderators: Celeste Stewart, Ed

Melissa

Plagiarism

Post by Melissa »

I suspect naivete enabled my belief plagiarism was something of the past. Boy, was I wrong.

I happened to do one search this morning for one of my articles [purchased exclusively on 3/22/05 @ 22:14:08] that did not mention a Licensee in the details of the purchase. So today, I searched Yahoo using a sentence from my article and BOOM! Only one hit (http://searchwarp.com/swa6368.htm) and someone else's name is on the article!!! My heart sank!!! I actually just cried. Isn't that sad?!?!?!?!

The site is SearchWarp.com. I have sent an email through their Contact page notifying their Web Master someone has stolen an article.

This article was in response to the content request a few weeks ago for closet organization, kitchen drawer organization and spring cleaning. Anyone else who may have submitted articles might want to do a search.

What to do???
Melissa

Post by Melissa »

Here is the list of articles written by lorien1973 from SearchWarp.com.

After reviewing her articles, several look to be articles recently purchased here and replaced with her name as the author!

http://searchwarp.com/Author4627.htm
Melissa

Post by Melissa »

So far, I've found two of my articles bearing lorien1973 as the author.

http://searchwarp.com/swa6368.htm
http://searchwarp.com/swa6593.htm
Sheryl Nantus

Post by Sheryl Nantus »

we've seen this problem before - if you check other entries by this person you'll see names down at the BOTTOM of the article giving credit at some times...

this is a client, I believe, who's purchased articles in order to drive traffic to his/her site. BUT the website doesn't allow "submitted by" in their submission forms, only "written by" - since some of us do have our names down at the bottom with "written by"; I've chosen the better thought and consider it to be a flaw of the website and not an intentional move on the part of the client - heck, why use ANY names?

not that it makes you feel any better... but that's the scenario as I perceive it.

:cry:
Melissa

Post by Melissa »

Hi Sheryl. I definitely understand, however, my name does NOT appear anywhere in either of the two articles.

Best thing for me... the article "Prescribe a Healthy Dose of Organization to Your Medicine Cabinet" was submitted to Constant Content by me on 3/29/05. Lorien1973 added this article to SearchWarp.com on 3/30/05. ALL of my submitted articles contain my name as the writer.

Definitely not cool behavior by the client. I found a way to contact him / her, but I'm going to wait and see what Chris says, as well as the response from SearchWarp.com, assuming they will respond.

Thanks!
constant-content
Site Admin

Post by constant-content »

I'll ask the client to add your name to these articles, really it doesn't benefit him in any way to remove it. I'm sure it was an honest mistake. He is not trying to take credit for it, I’ll keep you posted.
Melissa

Post by Melissa »

Thanks very much for your help Chris!

I browsed through their list of articles and I did notice numerous pieces without any reference to an author or contributor. I'll leave that issue to the individual author's to review.

Thanks again!
constant-content
Site Admin

The next time please contact us first... you send an email stating someone stole the article, the customer thinks we are selling stolen content. Not a good scenario... we lose a good customer.
Melissa

Post by Melissa »

Understood, and agreed. However, finding more than one of my own personal articles with absolutely no mention of my name anywhere is very discouraging, especially when the article displays someone else's name next to "Written by". I can't imagine anyone would feel much different.

Additionally, the "customer" has numerous articles submitted to SearchWarp.com under their name as the writer. Several of those articles appear to have been purchased from Constant Content. All I can speak to is my own personal experience and the fact it takes an effort to submit articles to SearchWarp. All of my articles contain my name under the title and that was completely removed from their submission.

Going forward, I'll be placing a Copyright on my pieces (as I do with my business clients) to protect my work, regardless of the content.
constant-content
Site Admin

Not every writer puts a name at the end of the article, and not every author cares to get credit. Some feel as long as they get paid, that's all that matters. I suspect these are the writers that are used to ghost writing for websites. Maybe writers that work for websites understand in some cases they want someone else to ghost write the articles so they can post it all over with a byline with a link to their own website.
constant-content
Site Admin

The customer is going to add your name in the next couple of days to all your articles. They are going to do a quick scan to make sure they got them all.

Do you understand the "Unique" license and that it allows the customer to use the article as many times as they wish?

Thanks
Melissa

Post by Melissa »

Thanks Chris. I especially appreciate your quick email response.

I clearly understand the unique license.
constant-content
Site Admin

No problem. Sounds good.

Thanks