Casting calls

Do you have any feature requests or suggestions for the Authors/Writers accounts? Post them here!

Moderators: Celeste Stewart, Ed, Constant

Isabelnewth

Casting calls

Post by Isabelnewth »

Could customers be asked to say how much they will be prepared to pay, when they put out a request for articles or a casting call? It's probably not just me who's put off from applying when there's no indication at all of whether an application would be worthwhile.
Word Gypsy

Re: Casting calls

Post by Word Gypsy »

I second the idea! Most of the time, I don't bother with them if the customer doesn't indicate what they are willing to pay, probably because they are fishing for those individuals who will undercut any price.
Judith
Location: I may be found where mountains rise and rivers flow.

Post by Judith »

I agree! In the beginning I applied to a few and included my price. Never heard from any of them. I applied to two that listed a price that was acceptable to me and got one of them. I don't bother with them anymore.
Isabelnewth

Post by Isabelnewth »

Yes, I suppose one can assume that the ones that mention no price will pay ridiculously low amounts. But there are so many of these things popping up that it's frustrating not to know what they are offering. Ultimately though it's only curiosity, as I am not going to apply for the priceless ones since if they were paying a reasonable amount they would say so. I would put a smiley here, but there is no smiley with a closed mouth which is what I would prefer. Another suggestion/request right there! :)
Lysis

Post by Lysis »

I've had much better success telling people what I charge rather than asking them what they will pay. That's how business works!
Isabelnewth

Post by Isabelnewth »

Maybe so, but given the variations, i wouldn't take the time to communicate without some sign that the price isn't silly.
Lysis

Post by Lysis »

You'd be surprised. I'm working a gig now where I was $1600 over the posted budget. He's actually just offered me 20% extra if I can get it done 2 days early. That's $550 (well, $500 after the fees) and I'm gonna try but that makes it $2100 over what he was "willing" to pay. I think people just don't know price ranges for experienced writers. Writers are all over the place in price. Since last year, I've decided to raise my rates and stick to them and sure I turn down gigs but my client quality has gone way up and I no longer work hard or long hours.
Isabelnewth

Post by Isabelnewth »

It's great that you are doing so well, and your vivid writing style together with your technical expertise must be a winning combo. For generalists like me, it isn't so much of a seller's market!
Lysis

Post by Lysis »

I don't know. I have a friend who has about 6 writers and pays one $110/hour and $150/hour. I'd jump on her bandwagon but it's creative writing and I'm no good at that.

If they like your writing and you have an area you excel at, it's doable.