UK/US/etc English

Do you have any feature requests or suggestions for the Authors/Writers accounts? Post them here!

Moderators: Celeste Stewart, Ed, Constant

Isabelnewth

UK/US/etc English

Post by Isabelnewth »

Please could the people who put requests up on the site, including standing requests, specify which market (US UK or other) the article should be aimed at? The terminology for financial products, energy etc is completely different in the US from the UK, so that some things are literally incomprehensible or misunderstood. There is the gas/petrol thing, but also things like insurance excess/insurance deductible, different words for the same thing in the UK and US respectively. Spelling is often different obviously, but so are some grammatical rules. It would really help if purchasers could just be routinely asked to specify, in the same way as they are asked how long an article they want....cheers.
EFowler

Re: UK/US/etc English

Post by EFowler »

Ooh, good suggestion Isabel - I second it :D
philipanderson

Post by philipanderson »

Yes - good suggestion - a simple field to select would be very easy to do and very helpful for writers. Many customers may just assume the site caters for a U.S. audience only.
LauraGinn

Post by LauraGinn »

I third this. The rules on comma usage are also different between the US and UK markets, and like you say - for finance and insurance related topics the difference in the way things operate can be huge. This applies to the medical niche too.
LMasterson

Post by LMasterson »

I'll definitely agree to this suggestion as well. I write a lot of UK and Australian finance articles, which are often very different to the US in terms of industry jargon and terminology - and even financial products available. It would also be handy to have a button to select when submitting a piece written in UK English, as I used to get articles rejected for "incorrect spelling or grammar" from an editor that may not have picked up the difference. I've since learned to include the standard line "Editors: Please note this article is written in UK English" at the end of every short summary. No more rejections for those things now, but a check box or button would be nice. :D