Word Count in Writing Ideas

Do you have any feature requests or suggestions for the Authors/Writers accounts? Post them here!

Moderators: Celeste Stewart, Ed, Constant

JDWhang

Word Count in Writing Ideas

Post by JDWhang »

If there was a word count added to the table of recently sold articles, I think it'd help us calibrate our price to word ratio for different categories as it seems like the clients' preferences might vary quite a bit depending on the subject.
Tster

Re: Word Count in Writing Ideas

Post by Tster »

I saw this a while back, and just now I was looking at 'Writing Ideas' and remembered this. Turns out no one has commented.

I support this idea and I doubt it is too hard to implement.
Judith
Location: I may be found where mountains rise and rivers flow.

Post by Judith »

I personally feel it would be a bad idea. Here are the reasons.

1. Writer A has had a 600 word article in their inventory for over a year. They originally priced it at $45.00, but because it is a topic less frequently requested they decide to drop the price and try to sell it for $25.00. They are attempting to clean out some of their older articles. Meanwhile Writer B writes a 600 word article for a request and prices it at $50.00. While Writer B is waiting for their article to be approved, Writer A has success with his "sale price" and the old article sells.You see the 600 word article that sold for $25.00 and decide to reprice all your articles with that approximate word count. The next day Writer B's article is approved and immediately purchased for $50.00. You see that sale and are confused. You have already repriced your articles at $25.00.

2. Experienced writers are more confidant in their writing skills, while newer writers are hesitant. They will prices their articles differently.

3. You should determine your price based on the quality of your work, and the time you spend writing.
csjwilkinson

Post by csjwilkinson »

I'm with Judith.
Tster

Post by Tster »

Judith wrote:I personally feel it would be a bad idea. Here are the reasons.

1. Writer A has had a 600 word article in their inventory for over a year. They originally priced it at $45.00, but because it is a topic less frequently requested they decide to drop the price and try to sell it for $25.00. They are attempting to clean out some of their older articles. Meanwhile Writer B writes a 600 word article for a request and prices it at $50.00. While Writer B is waiting for their article to be approved, Writer A has success with his "sale price" and the old article sells.You see the 600 word article that sold for $25.00 and decide to reprice all your articles with that approximate word count. The next day Writer B's article is approved and immediately purchased for $50.00. You see that sale and are confused. You have already repriced your articles at $25.00.

2. Experienced writers are more confidant in their writing skills, while newer writers are hesitant. They will prices their articles differently.

3. You should determine your price based on the quality of your work, and the time you spend writing.
I do very much agree with you, however with regard to your points:

1. How often is this situation going to arise?

2. I don't see how this is a problem.

3. Although I agree, I base my prices on what I think the market needs, otherwise I think they will never sell.
Judith
Location: I may be found where mountains rise and rivers flow.

Post by Judith »

I do very much agree with you, however with regard to your points:

1. How often is this situation going to arise?

It can happen quite often. There are a lot of writers at CC, and they get a steady flow of requests from buyers. There are also many buyers who just browse around looking for an article that suits their need before they put in a request. It saves them time if there is an article available. And there are those buyers who will buy only what is cheap.

2. I don't see how this is a problem.

Experienced writers will price their articles much higher than those just beginning. When we see a sold article, we don't know why it was priced as it was.

3. Although I agree, I base my prices on what I think the market needs, otherwise I think they will never sell.

If everyone prices low because that think that's what the market needs, then that is what the market will want. I have been a writer for over 45 years and print still pays $.50 to $1.00 a word. While I doubt online content will ever reach $1.00 a word, you can certainly make a decent amount of money for full right content articles.
[/quote]
Tster

Post by Tster »

Ah well. We all have different opinions. :)
skylang

Post by skylang »

JDWhang wrote:If there was a word count added to the table of recently sold articles....
Where is the table of recently sold articles? I can't find it.
Tster

Post by Tster »

skylang wrote:
JDWhang wrote:If there was a word count added to the table of recently sold articles....
Where is the table of recently sold articles? I can't find it.

When you log in, on the right hand side there is a button that says 'Writing Ideas'. Click on that.
contentwriter

Post by contentwriter »

I wanted this feature too and even thought of suggesting the feature until I read the comments here. I think for now, it's more prudent to leave that feature out.

You can work around it though if you really want to know. Just keep an eye on the articles that get approved and featured. Look at the word count and pricing. Later you'll see them when/if they sell.

I'm guessing it won't take very long for a writer to get a "feel" for how much to charge for an article. Also, it is surely not just the word count that's a factor. The topic is too. Articles in some categories will sell for more than those in others.