Green font color on new site

Keep Involved in Planning Changes to the Site. Have your Voice Count.

Moderators: Celeste Stewart, Ed, Constant

ScriptMaster

Green font color on new site

Post by ScriptMaster »

This is a terrible choice of colour on a white background. It's barely legible (to me at least). I can see no point whatsoever in choosing a color that makes it a struggle for people to read the text. If customers see the same scheme, I think they will not be very impressed.
Judith
Location: I may be found where mountains rise and rivers flow.

Re: Green font color on new site

Post by Judith »

I am having difficulty in reading the new site as well. Anyone with vision problems will not be able to read it. I love the look of the new site, but I don't think they should be playing with colored text. If a client can't read it, they won't stick around. For now I am still using the old site, but I fear the day they take it down and I have only the new site. Even with my glasses on and enlarging the text... I still can't read the green or the light silver.
Word Gypsy

Post by Word Gypsy »

I agree. Too much white for me as well.
Constant

Post by Constant »

We've just updated the colour on links on the new site to provide more contrast; hopefully this makes things more readable. Let us know what you think!
ScriptMaster

Post by ScriptMaster »

It's better, but green on white is always going to look weak, which is why you will not find it anywhere on the world's most popular web pages. Eyesight, colour blindness, monitor quality, ambient light, font size and weight etc. can all affect readability, so it is only common sense to eliminate as many of theses potential problems as possible. Stick to colour schemes that are tried and tested.
Lysis

Post by Lysis »

Mannn I must be odd (wo)man out right now. I like the color scheme. :shock:
Abbamay

Post by Abbamay »

I find that the "claim" buttons in the new colour scheme are really pale and hard to find. I used to be able to see at a glance where the private and writer pool requests were among the list of public requests.
Judith

Post by Judith »

I am having difficulty with the light gray text. I have vision issues and even with my almost new glasses I am straining to read.
Lysis

Post by Lysis »

The whole web design trend is grey on white text. I don't get it. A lot of people do it and it's a bad design for lots of reasons.
JessicaMayfield

Post by JessicaMayfield »

The look of the site changed dramatically for me when I logged in today, and not for the better.

Everything's so much larger now that I have to scroll vertically just to see the full (short) list of my current content. The sidebar list of links to various aspects of the site provided functionality that the menus lack, particularly because it isn't obvious when menu leads where.

Not a fan of the green-site version. For that matter, it doesn't coordinate with the logo, either.
Word Gypsy

Post by Word Gypsy »

"Newer isn't always better." and "Just because everyone else at school has a white mouse, doesn't mean you are going to get one."

This new design is less user-friendly than the old one, as we are seeing in this thread. Just a little more stress added to the day of a writer. I was still using the old site until yesterday when I was forced out of it. :(

Anyone with a vision problem/old eyes is going to have a problem using it, even with glasses. Light font, hard-to-distinguish private/writer pool from public, disappearing tabs when you hover, less-than-friendly navigation from one page to the one you keep trying to find but can't, and so on. The site reminds me of a piece of loose-leaf paper with scribbling on it. Anyone have other issues to add? Now is the time to ask for what we need as authors who use the site every week or day.

It would be nice if someone from CC would offer feedback on our comments. I'd like to know if these issues are going to be addressed.
Last edited by Word Gypsy on Wed Oct 07, 2015 6:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Judith

Post by Judith »

It's very difficult for me to read the site now. I do have vision problems, and even with my new glasses I have to cut and paste the requested content onto notepad so I can read it. I doubt I'll be participating in many pools. By the time I cut and paste to see what the request says, it will already be gone. The problem is the lack of contrast between the text and the back ground. Our clients are not all 20 years old with good eyesight. If customers have problems reading the sight, they will go elsewhere. Content and illustration are two different animals.Content is to be read and illustration is to be looked at. This whole website is about content, but I can barely read it.
Word Gypsy

Post by Word Gypsy »

Judith - I totally agree with everything you have said!~
HiredGun

Post by HiredGun »

For those of you having issues viewing the new CC site, try adding a dark mode extension to your web browser (turns the site black and the text white). Might help.

Chrome: https://chrome.google.com/webstore/deta ... a?hl=en-US
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/deta ... pjdn?hl=en
Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-us/firefo ... white-text
Celeste Stewart

Post by Celeste Stewart »

I can read it okay for now, but I'm not a fan. It's harder to read and harder to find stuff at a glance, and honestly, the green is not very attractive. What happened to usability?

I like the blue and black contrast of the old site and the forum (at least until they change it to match the main site). Even the new logo is all black, making constantcontent blend into one unintelligible word.

A few more nitpicks:

* I feel like the My Account menu should be combined with the "Hi Email Address" menu. Users are used to that on other sites, so since they're removing clutter, this would make sense. Plus I'm not sure what the difference between My Account and Tools really is. I think more thought needs to go into how these menus are organized and/or named.

* I wish when you clicked the logo after signing in or navigating to other sections of the site that it would take you to the dashboard rather than the main splash page which is useless to signed in users.

*Submit Article seems lonely, though I'm glad there's one-click access to it. However, there are other sections where one-click access would be nice.

Hopefully it's still a work in progress and a few tweaks will improve it.
Last edited by Celeste Stewart on Wed Oct 07, 2015 9:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: to make the list look more like a list