Capitalization on titles

Keep Involved in Planning Changes to the Site. Have your Voice Count.

Moderators: Celeste Stewart, Ed, Constant

Post Reply
Lysis
Posts: 1529
Joined: Sun Jun 07, 2009 2:08 pm
Contact:

Capitalization on titles

Post by Lysis »

Hi Constant,

We should be able to keep all caps in certain words in our titles. I have an article with the term "APIs" that got changed to "Apis" and it kinda makes me look like a noob. :?

inb4 saying I am a noob. :evil:
Lysis
Posts: 1529
Joined: Sun Jun 07, 2009 2:08 pm
Contact:

Re: Capitalization on titles

Post by Lysis »

And now the editor thought the "Apis" is a typo for "Apps." :( It's supposed to be "APIs."
tayalltheway
Posts: 62
Joined: Mon Jun 03, 2013 1:44 pm

Re: Capitalization on titles

Post by tayalltheway »

You can un-check the auto-capitalize box on your title and then change it to be capitalized how you want. I've done this many time when writing articles about iOS, iPhones, etc.
Lysis
Posts: 1529
Joined: Sun Jun 07, 2009 2:08 pm
Contact:

Re: Capitalization on titles

Post by Lysis »

Oh that's true. It never did this before though. I always keep auto-caps on, because it has caught me with accidental caps problems, but you're right.
Judith
Posts: 261
Joined: Sun Aug 01, 2010 11:30 am
Location: I may be found where mountains rise and rivers flow.
Contact:

Re: Capitalization on titles

Post by Judith »

When writing a term that might be unfamiliar to the editor, add a note in the small summary section. Explain the spelling and meaning. That should take care of it. Editors certainly don't want to make mistakes either, and I think they appreciate the notes on technical terms, Internet spawned spellings, and acronymns.
ReneeF
Posts: 204
Joined: Fri Jan 03, 2014 2:52 pm

Re: Capitalization on titles

Post by ReneeF »

Judith wrote:When writing a term that might be unfamiliar to the editor, add a note in the small summary section. Explain the spelling and meaning. That should take care of it. Editors certainly don't want to make mistakes either, and I think they appreciate the notes on technical terms, Internet spawned spellings, and acronymns.


I wish they allowed the note box on the first submit, that would make it easy to leave a brief explanation of a term.
Word Gypsy
Posts: 469
Joined: Tue Jan 24, 2006 9:16 pm
Location: USA

Re: Capitalization on titles

Post by Word Gypsy »

I use the short summary box to add a note to the editor. I put the note before my summary, and then I delete it once the article is approved. Works every time!
ReneeF
Posts: 204
Joined: Fri Jan 03, 2014 2:52 pm

Re: Capitalization on titles

Post by ReneeF »

Word Gypsy wrote:I use the short summary box to add a note to the editor. I put the note before my summary, and then I delete it once the article is approved. Works every time!



I've tried this only to have articles rejected and sometimes deleted for it with nasty emails from the editor. "The summary box is only a description of the article READ THE GUIDELINES! .... link" LOL
evaku
Posts: 184
Joined: Tue Jun 14, 2011 2:46 am

Re: Capitalization on titles

Post by evaku »

ReneeF wrote:I wish they allowed the note box on the first submit, that would make it easy to leave a brief explanation of a term.


That's a great idea! I recently had to add a pretty lengthy note for the editors to a private request even though I would rather the customer not see it (I was able to delete the note before they did). Not that it was a bad note or anything, but something about having the customer see a quick note to the editors strikes me as the tiniest bit unprofessional. A note box would be fantastic.
Post Reply