Your content editor needs to be changed

Keep Involved in Planning Changes to the Site. Have your Voice Count.

Moderators: Celeste Stewart, Ed, Constant

jeanpaul

Your content editor needs to be changed

Post by jeanpaul »

Hello,

One of my articles got a note saying that changes should be submitted into the editor, not by attaching a file like before.
That's OK - the only thing is that the content editor you've chosen is outdated.

It's extremely cumbersome to use.

There are many other options available. Just look at how the guys at medium.com do it. It's so easy. Or even Google Docs.

Since it's not my place to advise you on technical specifications, I will leave it at making a suggestions.

The bottom line is, it's unfair to ask writers to use that editor, when it's not even modern enough. It doesn't even show you font sizes in pts!

Thank you!
gators18

Re: Your content editor needs to be changed

Post by gators18 »

I think the idea was that it's a copy/paste box to skip the step of having trouble with attaching files, not a nice tool to be able to write online with.
gorgygirl

Post by gorgygirl »

I agree. After I finish an article and I am ready to copy and paste it, I have to take a deep breath because I know that I have hard work ahead. Submitting an article for review using my Mac under this new system is never easy. About 50 % of the time I can submit the article with no problem, but even then in ends up taking at least 15 minutes for me to go through the steps to make copy and paste work. And more than once, it took me about 45 minutes to successfully submit the article after I had finished it. On other sites, I can copy and paste the article in under a minute.
CMAdams

Post by CMAdams »

I've never had a problem with this. I just write the article in a Word template, then copy and paste. All the formatting is done in my document so it is just a copy and paste job.
ReneeF

Post by ReneeF »

I dont think the online editor was ever meant to be a place to actually write the article. its too tiny and too easy to mis mistakes. its takes me less than a minute to copy and paste my content over from Open Office.
PaulMaplesden

Post by PaulMaplesden »

I use Google Docs to write articles and then paste them into the editor - It auto-saves and can be used from anywhere.
jeanpaul

Post by jeanpaul »

Pasting into the editor adds lines, and causes other formatting problems. It's a real waste of time - I think we should still be able to upload files.

It's not really that hard to get a better text editor, so why are we using this one?
Lysis

Post by Lysis »

When you write in the Words, remove extra spacing between paragraphs to force you to double space paragraphs. It will eliminate the spacing issues when you copy/paste to the editor.
ReneeF

Post by ReneeF »

Lysis wrote:When you write in the Words, remove extra spacing between paragraphs to force you to double space paragraphs. It will eliminate the spacing issues when you copy/paste to the editor.

I have both issues, the editor removes spaces between paragraphs and sometimes adds up to ten or twenty spaces between paragraphs. even if I've cleaned it up by unformatting it first. AND usually these issues happen ONLY after the editor bounces back the article or puts it up for sale. Its fixed on my end, but they seem to forget to go back and fix spacing issues after they are done with it. sometimes I go and delete and resubmit the article to get these issues fixed, but lately I've grown tired of having previously approved articles ripped apart by the extra picky editor after sitting in the queue for up to a week or more.
Lysis

Post by Lysis »

Could be a browser issue too.

I have a customer who is using Mac systems and I was sending over Notepad or Word docs. Totally screwed up formatting for him. Try using Notepad++. That worked for me.
ReneeF

Post by ReneeF »

Lysis wrote:Could be a browser issue too.

I have a customer who is using Mac systems and I was sending over Notepad or Word docs. Totally screwed up formatting for him. Try using Notepad++. That worked for me.
i switched browsers and have far fewer issues. we now use Maxthon. and I clean my files with Notepad. Its NOT on my end because the problem only happens AFTER the editor gets the article and sends it back to me.
Lysis

Post by Lysis »

Is this in the long description or the editor? The long description always has extra spacing when I view the article again after submission, but I ignore that.
ReneeF

Post by ReneeF »

Lysis wrote:Is this in the long description or the editor? The long description always has extra spacing when I view the article again after submission, but I ignore that.

long description and editor and it happens AFTER the editor sends hte article back. when i send I get all anal over making sure it is perfectly formatted. somehow between my submitting, double chekcing, resubmitting, and double checking again and the editor proofing it and saving it they all come back with an issue about formatting. sometimes its weird things like certain words being in a different font than the rest or the whole darn thing being in a different font and an unacceptable font at that. ( I write in verdana or arial and it will come back to me in comic sans or a weird typeset.). I swear there is this glitch between the editors side and my getting it back. which makes me think the submission system is due for an overhaul.
PaulMaplesden

Post by PaulMaplesden »

Have you tried clearing out your web browser's cache, it's possible that the glitch might be in there. Also, just as a suggestion, you could try writing an article in Google Drive (it's free) and copying / pasting from there. I've been doing that for several months now without a problem aside from one or two extra carriage returns getting entered between paragraphs.
ReneeF

Post by ReneeF »

PaulMaplesden wrote:Have you tried clearing out your web browser's cache, it's possible that the glitch might be in there. Also, just as a suggestion, you could try writing an article in Google Drive (it's free) and copying / pasting from there. I've been doing that for several months now without a problem aside from one or two extra carriage returns getting entered between paragraphs.
I clear my browsers cache every day before working or after working. also, I cannot STAND how google docs freezes what i am doing it save progress, it drive me nuts AND the issue still happens no matter if I am using open office, word, word perfect, note pd, note pad plus plus, etc. it happens AFTER AFTER AFTER the editor goes to send it back it is not there in the version i send in but there is always a glitch they send it back with and then leave me a note complaining about it.

I find work around, my point is, like the original author, I think there is a glitch in the system and it needs a fix or overhauled.