New content submission system– Is this an improvement?

Keep Involved in Planning Changes to the Site. Have your Voice Count.

Moderators: Celeste Stewart, Ed, Constant

fannekahn

New content submission system– Is this an improvement?

Post by fannekahn »

I received a mail from Eric informing me about the changes in the article submission process. There are a few changes:
(i) The long summary has been done away with. I suppose this is a welcome change.
(ii) Now the writer can post the article directly on the C-C web editor. Again a welcome change. It is like any blog web editor.
(iii) The editor review can be obtained inline
(iv) and drafts can be saved and completed later.
I suppose these changes are for the better. What do you folks think? Please share your thoughts.
Last edited by fannekahn on Fri Nov 08, 2013 3:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sakmeht

Re: New content submission system – easier to use and improv

Post by Sakmeht »

fannekahn wrote:I received a mail from Eric informing me about the changes in the article submission process. There are a few changes:
(i) The long summary has been done away with. I suppose this is a welcome change.
(ii) Now the writer can post the article directly on the C-C web editor. Again a welcome change. It is like any blog web editor.
(iii) The editor review can be obtained inline
(iv) and drafts can be saved and completed later.
I suppose these changes are for the better. What do you folks think? Please share your thoughts.
As a newer writer, I like that the editors can review inline. This will lessen the confusion that a writer feels when they simply receive a generic comment like "grammar." They'll be able to see where the problem lies in the article itself (yes?). That way we won't be resubmitting all the while hoping that we spotted the correct error. Even though my acceptance rates are on the higher side, I'll appreciate having this feature.

I'm wondering though, if the default setting for showing a portion of our article will bother some people? I understand that we can adjust the setting, but what if we want to show the whole article except the conclusion? Do we then have to do the math to try to figure out exactly what percentage of our article that is? For instance, if I enter 3/4 as my default will the system give me exactly 3/4 and possibly truncate sentences or can I adjust it manually? I haven't actually submitted an article using the new system yet, so I have yet to play around with that feature.

All in all, I'm liking what I've read about this new process.
JDWhang

Post by JDWhang »

I've noticed that the editors now make minor edits when necessary. I think this is a huge improvement as sending a whole article back over a typo seemed like a major inefficiency.
Lysis

Post by Lysis »

yeah, cool beans on that.

I also like that I don't have to upload a doc and make sure I don't screw it up and do a .docx.!
PeterWriting

Post by PeterWriting »

I just had my first article accepted with the new system. It seems to have worked fine, but the amount of the article that is showing in the preview box is less than 1/3 of the article.
Lysis

Post by Lysis »

In your writer settings you can increase the percentage to whatever you want. Just FYI if you want to show more.
topquark

Post by topquark »

I'm still getting articles back for extremely minor changes, such as fixing an HTML tag, which do not affect the content of the article in any way. It appears that even though editors CAN now make changes, they are still sending articles back instead.
PeterWriting

Post by PeterWriting »

I just figured out where that setting was in the new education section. Thanks. I changed it, but they still look the same. Perhaps it takes a little while to update the change?
Lysis

Post by Lysis »

PeterWriting wrote:I just figured out where that setting was in the new education section. Thanks. I changed it, but they still look the same. Perhaps it takes a little while to update the change?
Unfortunately, that was my complaint. If you already submitted with 33%, you're stuck going back and fixing what you've submitted. :(
Abbamay

Re: New content submission system– Is this an improvement?

Post by Abbamay »

Hi guys,

Lately when I've been submitting my articles I've copied and pasted them in from a Word document and in the new submission form all my paragraph spaces have been included. This last week when I do it there are no paragraph spaces at all and I have to go through and put them all in.

Is this the same for you? I'm wondering because I've also had trouble submitting to private requests because after submission they look like they've been submitted to a standard request and the private request listing doesn't show.

Any help or advice appreciated!

Thanks,

Abba May