Writer's Pool - Can't change turnaround time

Keep Involved in Planning Changes to the Site. Have your Voice Count.

Moderators: Celeste Stewart, Ed, Constant

Celeste Stewart

Writer's Pool - Can't change turnaround time

Post by Celeste Stewart »

Hi,
I just filled out an application for one of the writer's pools and cannot change the default turnaround time or number of articles. Correction, I can change it, but when I click save, it reverts to 1 article per week and 1 hour turnaround time :(. Using Internet Explorer 9 on Windows 7.
Evelyn

Re: Writer's Pool - Can't change turnaround time

Post by Evelyn »

Same thing here, Firefox on Windows 7. I wonder if the answer doesn't really matter, though... Each of us will accept the amount of work we can accept.
Celeste Stewart

Yeah, turnaround time is dependent on so many external factors that it's hard to put a number on it. Even if you could, that number could be different two weeks from now. Plus, not only do we have our own turnaround challenges, the articles could sit in the queue for a few days.

I'd love the ability to be able to be able to put out a virtual shingle (so to speak) saying "currently available" or "gone fishing."
aprilk10

Post by aprilk10 »

I haven't decided if I like the idea of the writer's pools. I really don't think I like the idea of having to put in a turnaround time and amount I can do each week. For freelancers, that is going to vary depending upon the amount of work you currently have. Just because I am swamped this week doesn't mean I won't have a free schedule next week.

Anyway, I am guessing I will probably need to apply to at least one. I am guessing those who do not will have far fewer oppportunities (if any eventually) to submit to requests. When you guys submitted, did you submit an existing article (that is already on your profile), or did you have to submit an entirely new article? I really don't have the time to write up something new right now (this is one of those times when I am swamped), so I am hoping I can just apply with an article already on my profile.
Evelyn

Post by Evelyn »

AnneM posted a related question about ebooks and writer's pools here: http://www.constant-content.com/forum/v ... =2&t=23535
Celeste Stewart

April,
I just posted a link to an existing article on CC. I don't think CC expects us to write an original sample.

I know writers are worried that this is going to limit opportunities or potentially replace the private request system. I don't think this is the case. CC has started sending everyone emails with "good opportunities." I think this could be an extension of that - a way to make sure that customers get a response.

Also, it may be a way to improve the request system so that only those writers who are interested in contributing - and have demonstrated that they can consistently meet CC's standards - are contacted for certain assignments. This could be a good thing and reduce the heartbreak of some of the newcomers here who aren't quite familiar enough with the guidelines to begin working with CC's customers.

For something specialized like an ebook, a new customer may find it difficult to find a writer willing to take that risk. By having a group of writers that have expressed an interest, CC can point the customer to a willing writer to start discussions. (If the customer is new to CC, I recommend submitting the ebook in batches with milestone payments to reduce the risk of writing a full ebook and the customer not buying.)

As far as the question in the other thread about sending a sample of an ebook, I don't know if the application text will be made available to CC customers or not. We'll have to wait for CC's official word on that. For now, I'd just submit a sample of a longer article and a note saying that you could email a confidential excerpt from an ebook upon request.