public request messages

Keep Involved in Planning Changes to the Site. Have your Voice Count.

Moderators: Celeste Stewart, Ed, Constant

katemcbride

public request messages

Post by katemcbride »

Is there any way of adding the expiry date of public requests on the messages sent to authors ? It would save a lot of time when choosing projects/articles.At the moment,one has to trawl through the list of requested content to get it.
jadedragon

Re: public request messages

Post by jadedragon »

Public requests can be closed any time by the customer.
katemcbride

Post by katemcbride »

Thanks for that -the expiry date does not apply in some cases then so.In your experience,is it a good idea to get in early instead and go for requests with long deadlines?
I want to work here,not just have it as a hobby-there are plenty of other sites who I can write for as a hobby but as you said in the post on "Greetings from Ireland",this site is worth figuring out.Thanks for that :-).I am staying off the site and on the forum until I learn more.
I got two replies to this that said to go for both short and long deadlines-what works for you in selling your writing?
jadedragon

Post by jadedragon »

I have a buyer account too for the purpose of looking around at the other side of the site. I also buy a lot of services for my business, so I tend to look at it from a buyer's perspective.

If I was putting a request for articles to add to my website, I'd set a long expiry date and than watch what was submitted. When I saw what I wanted I'd buy one or more and close the request.
If I was working on a deadline for a magazine or for a client, I'd set a short expiry date.
Sometimes buyers ask for one article but buy several. They might just want more content and like what they see. They might use some articles for directory submission. Some buyers watch the submissions closely and others are busy and come back later.

I'd write for whatever requests interest you regardless of deadline. If you don't sell an article to the request, no problem, it goes into your portfolio for sale. Articles that I wrote for requests but that were not picked up keep selling nicely for me here.
katemcbride

Post by katemcbride »

Thanks for your reply;it gave me a lot of insight into how the site works.From what I have seen so far, sometimes it is easy to figure out from the request what exactly the customer might be looking for and sometimes it is not.I am interested in writing on different things which is what is good about CC-there is a good choice of subjects to write about and they have high standards.
Can you tell me where CC is based and what sort of topics do you write on yourself?
jadedragon

Post by jadedragon »

I believe the site is based in Victoria BC but the staff are located various places. I write on blogging, money and whatever else I feel like. I don't write much now because my business takes all my time.
katemcbride

Post by katemcbride »

Getting time to write can be difficult for me too with work and young children but I really enjoyed researching the articles I did write on men's health and gambling.I got one article on stammering approved but that was no challenge because that is my work.
I am going to open a buyer's account too to check out the market to see what is selling and I see there is a topic in the forum on this too.There are a few other things I have to do as well-learn the paragraph formatting settings for my word processor and buy the recommended ebooks here on the forum but first of all,I need to ask for my account to be reactivated.I asked support to delete my profile because I was so angry but they would have suspended me anyway for my cheeky email :-)
What do you work at in your business? I am in health service (speech therapy)