License Options for Buyers

Keep Involved in Planning Changes to the Site. Have your Voice Count.

Moderators: Celeste Stewart, Ed, Constant

ProlificScribe

License Options for Buyers

Post by ProlificScribe »

I think it would be helpful if people purchasing articles had the option of selecting if they want an article for usage, unique or full rights. It could also ensure that purchasers are aware how the different licenses operate.

This option could go where they select the price they want to pay, how many words the article should be etc.

For me, this would colour how I price my articles.

Thanks

-Tara

*edited to add* I am speaking about the public requests.
jadedragon

Re: License Options for Buyers

Post by jadedragon »

It is safe to assume that everyone submitting a public request is looking for full rights, unless otherwise stated. Most sales here are full rights.
ProlificScribe

Post by ProlificScribe »

I've thought about that, but I've learned that it's never safe to assume... in any situation.

Furthermore, I've sold an article here from a public request that was for usage, although she made no specific mention of which sort of license she was seeking.

For me, personally, knowing specifically what sort of license someone is seeking would influence how it's priced and perhaps for others it would influence even how the article itself is written.

For instance, if someone is willing to pay $30 - $40 for an article, for unique license, that says to me that they're willing to pay up to $40 for a unique license if the article is well written. All of my articles are always well written; I edit my own work.

In the aforementioned example, I may be more inclined to price my article, if i deem it to be well written, for perhaps $30 usage, $40 unique and $50 full.

If it's not stated.. I may be more inclined to price it more on the lower end thinking that the higher, full rights license may be daunting to them. I may price the unspecified license request at the higher end of their price range, but for full rights.

It couldn't hurt to have the purchasers of public requests to specifically state if they want the article for unique, usage or full rights. It could also ensure people know what the various licenses entail.

-Tara
Celeste Stewart

Post by Celeste Stewart »

I always price at what I want to get for each license. If the range is $30-$40 and no license type is specified, I assume the same as you $30 usage/ $35 unique/ $40 full. That's not to say that I'll price it that way. If I think my article is worth $40 and I wrote it specifically for the request, I'm going to price it $40/$40/$40. If the customer wants unique, he can have it for $40. (I also charge higher than the stated budget if I feel the article warrants it but I don't go too crazy there) It's so rare though for requesters to not want full rights. I do remember one guy requesting content and then buying usage licenses a few years ago. It felt like a burn but it taught me a lesson about pricing for requests - ask what you expect regardless of license type. If the article doesn't sell, you can always go back later if you're interested in usage.
Evelyn

Post by Evelyn »

Another thing you can do is write more. As an example, there's a current public request for sexual health articles. The requester has a good purchase rating and wants 10 articles. S/he supplied topic suggestions, so let's say you choose to write about infertility treatments.

Write one 500-word article about IVF (that's an easy topic with tons of information, would be quick to write). Submit to the request at $20 for full rights. Now, finish two or three more articles (300-500 words) specifically about Lupron, Pergonal, how eggs are harvested, intracytoplasmic sperm injection, and finally a 1000-word article describing the various stages of early IVF pregnancy.

With only a little more research, you've got $20 for the original article, $200 for the short articles, and $100 for the biggie. You might spend four hours at the whole task, but when they all sell you net about 200 bucks.

Command even more for these articles if you exclusively use PubMed for sources (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/).

P.S. I stole Celeste's pricing policy with the 40/40/40. (Insert a picture of me giggling and running away like a naughty toddler.)
ProlificScribe

Post by ProlificScribe »

Thanks Celeste.. Evelyn..

That's really good advice. I love how helpful everyone here is to new writers. It helps to see what works for the more established writers and I appreciate everyone sharing what works for them.

And thanks for that resource Evelyn. I submit about an article a day.. LOL I still have four articles awaiting review since Wednesday, so I don't want to over inundate the editors. I think I'll probably wait until those are approved before I submit any more.

You two have a great week!

-Tara