Brushing up Foto / Illu section

Keep Involved in Planning Changes to the Site. Have your Voice Count.

Moderators: Celeste Stewart, Ed, Constant

lerograph

Brushing up Foto / Illu section

Post by lerograph »

Hi there, Im a newbie just have submitted 4 hi res fotos. I wrote this under "photography" but it also concerns site renovation.

It caught my attention that there was a technical articles category but no such category for photos or illustration.

Also I think the search engine could be a bit more refined.

Some categories I can think of: Women, Fashion, Technics, Medicine, Business & Finance, Cosmetics, Architecture.
Would that all go under "educational"?

Why are there a gross of photos in section "Illustrations"? Something doesnt function here.
Content /Your images/Photographs -> the files pending are discribed as Illustrations>Food!
I think the webmasters should be more strict. If a customer wants an illustration, he does NOT want a photograph rendered by just one filter.

That may be a reason why photo/illu sells havent really come to live?

What else I do miss is the possibility to offer photos or illus WITH a certain article. There are photos named the same as an article, but can the customer find them easily? All the authors can do is write the Article title into the summary of the picture. I would suggest a possibility for the customers to view fitting illus/photos as a reference.

thanks, lerograph :P
BarryDavidson

Re: Brushing up Foto / Illu section

Post by BarryDavidson »

Leograph,

There are subcategories for each such as your Business & Finance. Under the Business category is a Finance subcategory. It takes some getting used to, but most articles can fit into one of the options which can be chosen.

It would be interesting to see articles which have embedded images, but I can see it from the other side as well. If you were a business in today's market, would you use your own photos (or generic free usage pictures) to reduce overhead, or would you pay fifty dollars for an article and another fifty for a single picture?

I too would like to put pictures in some of my technical articles. Describing where the memory goes on a motherboard is a lot harder that putting in a picture with the memory slots highlighted. A big problem with my technical article example is trademark and brand recognition issues. Even taking a picture of my own computer, a crafty attorney could sue me if I accidentally left something (a company name for example) in it. Litigation is the one thing every business is leery of. Congress has been changing quite a few laws recently, and the US is an attorney's wet dream in regard to lawsuits already.

I think I remember a thread on here which addressed some of these issues. You can, if I'm remembering correctly, mention an accompanying photo or illustration in the short summary. Ed will have to weigh in on this one.

I wonder if support can come up with a line of code which can be inserted in the body of an article. It would just be a little square with, "Suggest inserting a picture here," or something like that. Not a hyperlink, but a "widget" of sorts. Or, another option when submitting an article where you can use a drop down menu of your submitted pictures which will appear (a link to the picture on-site) as an option when customers are reviewing the article (this might be easier). Something which appears at the bottom of the page saying something like, "The author also has a picture which could be used with this article," with a hyperlink.