Word count & No. of Downloads info

Keep Involved in Planning Changes to the Site. Have your Voice Count.

Moderators: Celeste Stewart, Ed, Constant

PeggyTee

Word count & No. of Downloads info

Post by PeggyTee »

Woohoo! Nice add on to allow customers to see the word count and number of downloads along with our short summary of the article at one go on the home and profile pages. I likes it!!

However I was going through my articles, and some of them show the wrong number of downloads. For e.g. "London's Secret Spots" show 0 downloads; however it has been sold for usage once. Similarly, "London on the Cheap" shows 3 downloads but it has only been sold once.

My concern is that potential customers might avoid articles that have been heavily downloaded and so errors like these may dissuade them from buying what they think are overly published work when in actuality the article may never have been sold, or have been sold only once.

Could tech support please look into this? A few other articles of mine that show errors in download info are:

"Rome's Secret Spots" - shows 2 dls, only once sold.
"Look Younger for Longer" - shows 2 dls, only once sold.
"The Phenomenon that is Susan Boyle" - no dls, but been sold twice

Cheers!

Pegs.
canywriter

Re: Word count & No. of Downloads info

Post by canywriter »

Yup, it's a great idea, and certainly helpful to customers. But, yes, there are some glitches that need to be worked out -

My article "Five Tips to Strengthen Your Relationship During the Recession" has been downloaded once, but the count says 0. Could this be rectified? Thanks.

Cany
Debbi

Post by Debbi »

Showing word count is great but why show downloads? I would think that would discourage customers from purchasing, not encourage them. Am I missing a marketing principle here?

Debbi
jrichards

Post by jrichards »

@Peggy and @Cany I'll have a look into the downloads not lining up with the licenses sold. Thanks.

@Debbi thanks for the feedback. I've had a number of emails from customers asking for this. It really comes down to being forward with the customer about articles that have been sold for usage already and those which have not in the cases where the articles have not been previously sold I think that seeing there haven't been any licenses might be an encouragement to buy. However, the reason that downloads is included is because customers have asked for it. The information has always been on the details page, but it's certainly more prominent in the new layout. That said, I really appreciate the feedback and if after a few days we notice any significant changes in the sales on the site, I'll make changes as appropriate.

The goal is to lower frustration for the customers so, if we can save them a few clicks by showing them some of the more pertinent info on the listings hopefully we improve their overall experience of buying articles on constant-content.
Debbi

Post by Debbi »

Ah, I see. I noticed that the info was on the details page and often use it myself to see which articles are popular usage-only purchases. I just wasn't sure about it being on the front page.

Speaking of ease of use by customers, I wonder if they would appreciate an option where they could look at titles only? That way, they could see a LOT of articles before they had to click to the next page. Then they could click on the title to see the details if it sounded like what they were looking for. That would give more articles more exposure and might let the customers that wanted to use that option look through a category really quickly. (I had to edit my originnal post because when I went back to count the number of articles on one page it was like 20 when I thought it was 5; this is because of my magnification softwware which only allows me to see about 1/4 of the screen at a time, sorry. I still think having this search result option would be helpful, like List View instead of Folder View :mrgreen: )

Or maybe I would just like it that way :)

Debbi