Writing Sample in Application

Keep Involved in Planning Changes to the Site. Have your Voice Count.

Moderators: Celeste Stewart, Ed, Constant

rena

Writing Sample in Application

Post by rena »

CC should not make it so easy for anyone to sign up to be a writer. This wastes a lot of time when these writers submit articles, get rejected and then are banned. I propose that every future writer applicant add a short writing sample that gets approved or rejected from Ed. If the sample is rejected, so is the applicant. This will not only help CC find the writers that best fit them, but also save a lot of time and hard feelings. Thanks.
Constant

Re: Writing Sample in Application

Post by Constant »

We already do something fairly similar to this proposal. Authors can't do anything on the site until they have at least one article approved. This for us is a vetting process, and seems to work just fine. We appreciate the suggestion though, and are always looking for ways to improve upon our process.

Daivd
jadedragon

Re: Writing Sample in Application

Post by jadedragon »

CC is an unusual site focused on strict quality. That takes a little getting used to. I like the challenge and I will be using CC to force improvements to my writing

After having my first three articles rejected (and one of those twice) I quickly realized that the low standards of many other sites I've written for do not apply here. I tightened up my writing standard and quickly got 4 other articles accepted. Had my first rejection been my only chance, I'd be out now. Instead I will be a valuable member of this site, fully able to meet its standards.

The current system seems to work fine. If a "writer" can't produce quality they will quickly tire of rejection and stop submitting to CC. There are plenty of other sites that will take any old thing.