Changing Articles That Have Sold for Usage

Keep Involved in Planning Changes to the Site. Have your Voice Count.

Moderators: Celeste Stewart, Ed, Constant

jak

Changing Articles That Have Sold for Usage

Post by jak »

Some of my usage only articles are not likely to sell again here unless I can update them. That will mean deleting them and resubmitting with a note to Ed. But it's not possible to delete them at present. Can you do something about this please?
eek

Re: Changing Articles That Have Sold for Usage

Post by eek »

You can still delete articles, but the prompt for confirming whether you really want to delete is in a different location than it was, so I didn't see it at first, either. Click the delete button, then look at the top of the screen. I hope I understood you right, and that this helps.
emma
jak

Post by jak »

Not really, eek. After they have sold once, there is no delete button to click.
eek

Post by eek »

Wow, you're right. And I was sure I had done it. Sounds like a job for support. Or a nifty new delete button for sold usage articles...
BarryDavidson

Post by BarryDavidson »

Can you upload a new file via the edit feature?

If not, it might be something to consider suggesting for future updates. Once the new file is uploaded, it puts it back into the que for Ed to approve/reject with a note stating that it's an update of an existing article.

I've sometimes wanted to write two versions of the same article - one that's shorter for the web and one that's longer. It would be interesting to know if in the future this could be a standard feature. The customer can then view both versions under the same title and decide which will suit their formatting better.
jak

Post by jak »

Thanks for the suggestion, Barry. But that facility is not there either.
jak

Post by jak »

Here's an example of what can happen when you can't delete or make changes on an article previously sold for usage.

When my article, A Luxury London Meal to Remember, sold again recently, I sent a message to the customer as an add-on to offering another article for a request. I informed her it was out of date, so she had the option of cancelling the order or asking for a rewrite, but she went ahead and published at http://www.affluentialliving.com/2009/0 ... ean-knill/.

If you take a look, you'll see why I find this embarrassing. It is about a £1000 menu that was originally targeted at those receiving working in the finance sector in London and receiving hefty bonuses. Of course it has now been discontinued, but the restaurant still offers luxurious and expensive meals. It could easily have been changed to reflect that, but I couldn't delete it so that I could make changes.

I have emailed support about this a couple of times in the past but received no response. I have other article s that would benefit from updating, and I'm sure other authors do as well. Shall I copy this to them to try again?
jak

Post by jak »

Support have given me an answer this time - a quick response too. They can't delete articles that have sold, but they can archive them on request, so they no longer appear on the site. Then we can make revisions and resubmit, with a note to Ed.
eek

Post by eek »

That is good news, jak. Have you considered asking the customer who published that article to remove your byline?
jak

Post by jak »

I haven't eek, but it's an idea. I'll think about it.