New Submission Protocol

Keep Involved in Planning Changes to the Site. Have your Voice Count.

Moderators: Celeste Stewart, Ed, Constant

Constant

New Submission Protocol

Post by Constant »

Hello Folks!
Just wanted to quickly let you know about a change to the article submission process. We have been having some problems with new authors submitting too many articles and creating backlogs for our tireless and inimitable editor! As a result of this and our continuing desire to become a more consistent meritocracy we are placing some restrictions on the number of article submissions allowed for new authors.

- Brand new authors will only be allowed *three* submission in the review queue until they have one accepted
- Once they have *one article accepted* they will be able to have *six articles* in the review queue at any given time
- They limit will be removed once they have *ten articles* accepted

Please let me know if there is any feedback on the new protocols.

- Constant
Killian

Re: New Submission Protocol

Post by Killian »

Sounds fine to me.
geniuswaitress

Post by geniuswaitress »

As a new author who may have been (and still may be) part of the backlog problem: sounds good to me.

While I've just squeaked past the new rule and have more than ten, it wouldn't have bothered me a bit to have waited longer.

Once I get all of my pre-existing content uploaded, I swear I'll slow down!
jrichards

Post by jrichards »

Hopefully, this update will be good for everyone. The last thing that anyone wants is to have their a bunch of articles that they have spent time uploading rejected for a guideline related problem. This way we can work together to make sure that everyone is comfortable with the submission guidelines before they spend a bunch of time submitting their entire portfolio. It's frustrating to get rejected and it's also frustrating for Ed to have to read through 30 articles that contain similar deviations from the guidelines and have to be rejected.

-jrichards
Constant-Content.com
BarryDavidson

Post by BarryDavidson »

I actually think this is a good idea.

My first day I only uploaded three articles to test the system. All three were rejected for one reason or another. I revised, uploaded them again, and all three were accepted. I will admit that after those three were accepted, I spent the next few days uploading quite a few articles. Over the next week I must have uploaded twenty-plus articles.

Of course one of the major factors in my uploading that many was because I made a sale within a couple of days of joining. This site is so wonderfully easy, and quite addicting. The forums here are a cut above par in that I didn't find the usual bickering, mindless banter, and hateful remarks of almost ALL other sites with a forum. The level of adult conversation here is staggering when you've dealt "writing" sites for years... Back to the subject.

You may want to have a pop-up window which explains the three submission guidelines when the new author hits "Submit Article" for the fourth time. This way they won't go through the entire process of "filling in all the blanks" before the system stops them. I know it sounds crazy, but most people either don't read online submission guidelines or they merely browse them. Even I am guilty of that. Ed did make it clear to me (sent the link for the submission guidelines in all three of my initial rejections) that nothing would be accepted without following those rules. I then read ALL of the submission guidelines, and adjusted my articles accordingly.
vjlenin

Post by vjlenin »

So true, Barry. I love this forum. In fact, with the new guidelines, if a careless, but good, author uploads 3 articles and get all of them rejected, he will be entirely out of the system. So, it will be good that CC points out to newbiews that they can be rejected and be out of a really life-changing opportunity if they don't give enough care to their articles from the start itself, So good testers maynot lose opportunities.

For me, I started off with two rejections. I wrote the article first in the style of a blog entry, got rejected overnight, then corrected a few mistakes, and got rejected the next day. It was then I became really serious. I sat down 7 hours to edit that almost-1000 word article (let me remind you that I am the lousiest editor u can find). I cleared it up of all mistakes, rewrote it almost. Then submitted it. It got accepted about two hours before it was sold for seventy bucks. My first internet income. It was then that I started considering CC very seriously. I hope new authors read such experiences, available from the eureka moments in author exchange forum, before submitting works. In fact, after this, I have never looked at another site with any lack of respect, we don't know where the real opportunity lurks.

VJ Lenin
jadedragon

Post by jadedragon »

As a followup, CC now makes it very clear you can not submit more then three articles right after you submit the third article as a newbie. This site is awesome. :P
Sharion

Post by Sharion »

The guidelines make perfect sense. As one of the new writers, my first attempts were rejected for formatting issues. Easily fixed issues. The guidelines saved both me and Ed a lot of time, me in redoing and Ed in reviewing.

There is a learning curve and it's better to tiptoe in with the first few submissions while you get the hang of what's required.

Dunno about anyone else but I want to stay on Ed's good side :-) Overloading him with avoidable mistakes is not starting out on a good foot and the restrictions limit how many mistakes you dump on him before figuring it out.

Works for me!
:-D
Sharion
yashuasgirl

Post by yashuasgirl »

The new guidelines are fine with me too. I am a newbie writer and thus far I have one article that has ben accepted, and another I have rewritten. It is waiting for Eds review. I didn't mention it was for a request, as I am sure that the request has already been filled. I didn't want to put my "rewrite" any higher in the que than it should be. Reading the information available in these forums helps me a bunch. :)
businessgrl

Post by businessgrl »

That new rule sounds very reasonable. There does need to be a limit on the articles one person can be expected to review!

Is it possible for me to check on the status of an article in review that I submitted Friday night for a request?

Article Title: 5 Things You Should Know About Website Design and Advertising
Request: Regular articles for Website Design, Software Development and SEO Company
Expiry Date: Today, Sunday March 7.
Celeste Stewart

Post by Celeste Stewart »

Considering the article was submitted on a Friday night and today is Sunday, it's likely it's sitting there waiting for Monday morning to roll around with the rest of the articles submitted. . .
businessgrl

Post by businessgrl »

Ok, thanks. Hope everyone has a great weekend. There is lots of sun in Sacramento,CA this morning and it's going to be a fabulous day for gardening and taking the kids to the park!
nlhouser1948

Post by nlhouser1948 »

As a newbie writer, I am picking up that Ed is the only editor of all the articles? How exhausting!!! And do you have to have three articles in a row rejected to be thrown out? (or fired....)
jadedragon

Post by jadedragon »

Yes Ed reviews all articles. I'm thinking it is a full times job.