Proofreading Forum?

Keep Involved in Planning Changes to the Site. Have your Voice Count.

Moderators: Celeste Stewart, Ed, Constant

RebeccaGirl

Proofreading Forum?

Post by RebeccaGirl »

I would love it if we could proof one another's work before submitting it. Perhaps we could have a forum for posting final drafts to be proofed. It would be on a voluntary basis. Just an idea.
Ed

Re: Proofreading Forum?

Post by Ed »

I think this could be beneficial, too. However, because forum posts are indexed by search engines, this means that any content posted on the forums would not be able to be sold for full or unique rights. If you are having problems with a particular section (a small section of a couple of sentences), you can post it to get feedback from fellow authors.

Thanks,
Ed
MediaMaven

Post by MediaMaven »

It appears that this forum is running PHPBB. I believe that there is an ability in most recent versions to create private or hidden forums. Only registered and logged-in users even see the forum, but I'm not 100% sure if that protects from search engine spiders. Anyway, that's something for your webmin guys to look at!
BarryDavidson

Post by BarryDavidson »

There would have to be special member types created to access that type of "hidden" folder. Otherwise every registered member would be allowed to view them.

It's not that hard to do from a forum standpoint, but a forum admin would have to create the new member types, and then manually move everyone who can access them to the new type. They's also have to find the application to block search engines from those folders. If I'm remembering correctly - even though non-registered and other types of members van't view them, the text is still search engine indexed. I don't know if the latest versions of phpbb have addressed this yet. I haven't been a forum admin for a few months.
Constant

Post by Constant »

Even though this may sound like a good idea, it could have potentially disastrous outcomes. We have already done a lot of work to ensure that articles on the site are safe from theft. Creating a folder that has articles in it accessible for peer review would open up the authors on the site for having their articles ripped off, which some of you know first hand is a dispiriting and difficult situation to rectify.
geniuswaitress

Post by geniuswaitress »

Maybe a solution would be for members to personally mutually mentor each other...? Two users could just agree to help proof each other's stuff (by email) and at their own risk. That way the site itself bears no responsibility.

Those seeking such a relationship, or interested in helping, could post their interest here.
HayleyWriter

Post by HayleyWriter »

I offer such a proofreading / mentoring relationship to my affiliates, and I am sure others do the same. I have also made contact with individual authors and bounced ideas around for articles or for specific help using the email system on the site, or just congratulated the author on a sale. This is a good system and is not indexed by the search engines. Feel free to contact me through the email system. We're all pretty friendly here, and I am sure some other established authors would respond to questions through the email system too.

HayleyWriter
VanDaim

Post by VanDaim »

[quote="geniuswaitress"]Maybe a solution would be for members to personally mutually mentor each other...? Two users could just agree to help proof each other's stuff (by email) and at their own risk. That way the site itself bears no responsibility.

Those seeking such a relationship, or interested in helping, could post their interest here.[/quote]

Well...I was interested in having some help. My English isn't as good as I thought...however it's improving (I think). So I would like to have someone to proofread an article that was rejected here. I've reviewed it and I think it's ok but...as a ESL writer I would like to hear a 2nd opinion on it.

Anyone interested, just send me a PM.

Thanks in advance
thillukka06

Post by thillukka06 »

Sounds like a good idea - I would be willing to help out where I'm needed. I know I would love to have someone to proofread some of my writing at times!