Microsoft Office 2007 - Rejected .docx

Keep Involved in Planning Changes to the Site. Have your Voice Count.

Moderators: Celeste Stewart, Ed, Constant

Caiman007

Microsoft Office 2007 - Rejected .docx

Post by Caiman007 »

I just submitted an article that was rejected because the file extension was .docx which I believe is the new extension for Microsoft Word 2007. Thankfully, Word 2007 lets you save the article in the original .doc format (for Word 93-2003). But I'd just like to throw it out there for the moderators of the site that it would be good to update the site and submission guidelines to allow .docx files for users with Word 2007.

Thanks!
BarryDavidson

Re: Microsoft Office 2007 - Rejected .docx

Post by BarryDavidson »

Caiman,

Honestly, it would be better for you to save them all in .doc format (or the Open Office equivalent). Windows XP and Office XP are the most commonly used programs in the world currently. At least with .doc, .rtf, and .txt there was the ability to pick and choose which what program you used to open them. In other words, compatibility is the biggest concern. Even with an add-on to read the .docx files in other programs, it's still like trying to open and convert a .pdf with Wordpad.

Publishers are still using old copies of InDesign and InDesign CS. I think that most businesses are going to hold out as long as they can to keep from having to pay the huge price for Office 2007.
Celeste Stewart

Post by Celeste Stewart »

Yeah, it's not so much that CC can't read the files - it's that customers may not be able to. Wouldn't that suck to purchase an article only to have to jump through hoops in order to open it? I've been using Word 2007 since the day it debutted but still run into many colleagues that can't open the .docx file extension. I set my Save As settings to default to .doc and rarely feel the need to use .docx (except when using diagrams).
Elizabeth Ann West

Post by Elizabeth Ann West »

It probably won't be long before .docx becomes more accepted though as open source programs are now supporting .docx format. The newest version of the free OpenOffice.org now allows users to save in .docx format.