Longer login period?

Keep Involved in Planning Changes to the Site. Have your Voice Count.

Moderators: Celeste Stewart, Ed, Constant

KarenProctor

Longer login period?

Post by KarenProctor »

Hi, everyone. I was wondering if you'd consider allowing a longer time for users to be logged in to the site, so that authors like me who check their account a zillion times a day don't have to re-log-in each time...?

Also--and this is just speculation and assumes customers have the same login time--if I were a customer who was browsing the site, I'll bet I'd feel frustrated at having to log in again after what seems to be a relatively quick interval. I know from personal experience that when I shop online, I like to broooowwwwwse, and spend long hours debating the pros and cons, and I also get interrupted a lot, and there's nothing more annoying than having to re-log-in each time I'm interrupted. On the other hand, sites that have a long grip and keep you logged in for days can have a bit of a Big Brotherish feel, but all in all, if I had to choose, I'd choose a longer login, with the option to log out any time you want.

To put it another way, frequent automatic log-outs are a bit like walking into a supermarket, starting to shop in a liesurely fashion, only to find yourself yanked out of the store every half hour or so by a security officer who barks, "Sorry, for security purposes, you have to leave the store for a minute before you can resume your shopping."

Just my two cents!

Thanks,
Karen
DSWaltenburg

Re: Longer login period?

Post by DSWaltenburg »

AMEN!!! Thanks for stating that so well!!

Deborah
cgardener

Post by cgardener »

I agree. I've actually posted an article, noticed an error, gone back to correct and reload (less than 2 minutes) and been logged out. I tend to write a lot of articles at one time, then let them sit and go back and edit and then post a lot at once. Sometimes I'm logged out inbetween submitting articles. It's very frustrating.
RFHarris

Post by RFHarris »

Yes, please have a longer login or no log out option. I have went to add articles and then had to go do something halfway in between (kids, grandparents, = interruptions) then came back, finished typing in the keywords, submitted and got...the log in screen. Which means I had to start ALL over again. I know it only takes about five minutes to upload an article, but once you've done something its such an irritation to do it again exactly the same way.

Sorry I'm not as eloquent as the OP!
Lor

Post by Lor »

I just came in to see if anyone else is having this problem and found this. Although we appreciate the security measures, unless we actually log out it would be great if we could stay logged in. It seems unless there is movement at our end, it logs us out automatically -- just leave for a few minutes and have to log in again. When you're on dial-up it's a big slow deal. I can stay logged into the forums, so it's kinda strange. Hope it's being looked at. Thanks
Lor
sranta

Post by sranta »

I was going to make a thread on this, but then I noticed that there was one already.

Would it be possible to extend the login timeout period? I use Word to create my articles, and when I paste in my example text, I often notice something I want to change in the article. By the time I go back and reword the original document, then come back to the CC page and paste in the new text and fill out the other fields, I've been timed out. 24 hours would be ideal.

Also, how about making it save the author/customer selection between logins?
Nessiee

Post by Nessiee »

I would love a longer login time too... *hint, hint*

But in the meantime, I always open up two windows when I plan to submit content, one with the CC submission form and another one that can be on any page of the CC website. Right before I go to submit my article, I flip to the second window, refresh to make sure that I'm still logged in, and if not, sign myself in again before heading back to my original window and hitting submit. This way, I know that I won't be timed out, and won't have to repeat the submission form again.