Change of Policy

Keep Involved in Planning Changes to the Site. Have your Voice Count.

Moderators: Celeste Stewart, Ed, Constant

jak

Change of Policy

Post by jak »

Recently one of my articles sold for usage rights and then full rights to another customer soon afterwards. I know that the second customer bought it for a print publication so it will not be on the internet twice. Now I notice that other articles, which were offered for all three rights options and sold for usage rights, are now only listed for usage rights.

Some time ago, I queried the fact that after selling for usage, my articles were still listed for all rights. Ed replied that, as the customers can see they had already sold, there was no need to change the offer. From my first sentence, you can see that, as long as customers understand it, we can all benefit from this policy, but it looks as though it has changed.

Can we have that decision reversed, or at least discussed?
Constant

Re: Change of Policy

Post by Constant »

The decision, as far as we are concerned, has always been that if an article is circulating on the internet it can not be sold for fullrights. All that has happened is that we have fixed the bug that existed since the site's inception. From now on as soon as an article sells for usage rights, it can from then on, only be sold for usage rights. This will prevent buyers from feeling as though the originality that they are purchasing is somehow in question and give us more credibility in the highly competitive marketplace of writing. I am sure that this is going to benefit everyone who uses the site.
jak

Post by jak »

Thanks for making that clear. Now I know that I need to rewrite to target a customer who's unlikely to buy usage rights.
Word Gypsy

Post by Word Gypsy »

Argh! It took me forever to get used to this little quirk, but I did. I admit that I didn't like it at first, but I have really been enjoying those double sales when I sold an article for full rights after selling it for usage. It's going to take me a while to switch gears and edit my asking prices. Ah well, onward to better things!