"Linking" to another website in the CC Author Bio

Not an author yet? Have questions? Post here!

Moderators: Celeste Stewart, Ed, Constant

Words4Bread

"Linking" to another website in the CC Author Bio

Post by Words4Bread »

Hello fellow scriveners! Happy May to you.

I've been building out a new content writing website and blog as a hub for my writing services. It's nearly ready to go live. Now I know I can't live link to anything from the Constant Content Author Bio, but I'm wondering if I can add something like, "For details of the full range of XXXXX's writing services visit XXXXX.com" without incurring the wrath of the powers that be?

I've looked through the writer info on CC and can't find any mention one way or the other.

Anyone already does this? Is there a rule? What do we think?

Thanks in advance!
Gauderbock

Re: "Linking" to another website in the CC Author Bio

Post by Gauderbock »

I wouldn't think that's a great idea. I'd guess it comes under the general prohibition on making contact with customers except via the CC system. They don't want to be cut out of the loop, and who can blame them :)
Judith
Location: I may be found where mountains rise and rivers flow.

Post by Judith »

CC has a widget you can add to your website that lists your articles for sale on CC.

https://www.constant-content.com/accoun ... uilder.php
HiredGun

Post by HiredGun »

As per an email response I received from CC staff on this matter:

"No, we definitely don't allow it. Basically, including any links or handles that can be used to take clients off the platform isn’t allowed."

As per CC's extended writer guidelines:

"Avoiding mentioning your personal website, portfolio or directing customers outside Constant Content. This is against our terms of service"
(https://www.constant-content.com/conten ... biography/)

Some CC writers have been skirting/breaking the rules by including their Twitter handles in their bios, sharing URLs where their content is published, and even offering their CC articles for sale at a cheaper rate on their own websites. Definite no-no.
Words4Bread

Post by Words4Bread »

That settles that, then!

Thanks all. :)
Words4Bread

Post by Words4Bread »

...No, wait a minute...

Does the agreement I have with CC by selling through this site mean that I can't sell articles to anyone, via any other medium outside CC so long as I'm signed up here? No, it can't do, can it? I'd starve to death...
Gauderbock

Post by Gauderbock »

Nope, it just means you can't take clients you met through CC and deal with them independently (therefore not paying the 35% to CC of course)

You're free to work for anyone you drum up through your own efforts away from CC......
HiredGun

Post by HiredGun »

Gauderbock wrote:Nope, it just means you can't take clients you met through CC and deal with them independently (therefore not paying the 35% to CC of course)

You're free to work for anyone you drum up through your own efforts away from CC......
Correct. And you can't sell the articles you have posted for sale on CC via another medium, i.e. placing the same articles for sale on Gumroad, etc.
Words4Bread

Post by Words4Bread »

Ok. That's fine. Thanks fellas.

Presumably I could, if at some point I decide to quit here altogether (you never know), delete my unsold CC inventory and then sell the articles elsewhere. Yes, I mean I own the copyright. Sorry, probably just thinking aloud at this point...

As you were, folks!

:P
HiredGun

Post by HiredGun »

Words4Bread wrote: delete my unsold CC inventory and then sell the articles elsewhere. Yes, I mean I own the copyright.
Correct. The only articles you can't delete are ones where you sold a unique/usage license (back when CC sold unique/usage rights).
Words4Bread

Post by Words4Bread »

Many thanks one and all. :D