Article Stolen from My Catalog

Not an author yet? Have questions? Post here!

Moderators: Celeste Stewart, Ed, Constant

HiredGun

Re: Article Stolen from My Catalog

Post by HiredGun »

Thank you for the update. Glad CC was able to resolve the issue for you.

As technology continues to advance, showing 100% of your articles is asking for trouble. Between AI and OCR, it is just too easy for lazy content scammers to take advantage of your hard work if you show 100%. You are better off showing 33/50% of each article and having a note on your portfolio advising potential buyers to contact you via CC's messaging system if they absolutely must view 100% (they should be able to tell the caliber of your writing in 33/50% preview). A simple Chrome extension search will show you all sorts of OCR extensions to translate text from images i.e. https://chrome.google.com/webstore/deta ... ebbj?hl=en. :twisted:
Patinator

Post by Patinator »

Just as an update, stuff continues to be stolen. Already sent an email informing ConCon.
HiredGun

Post by HiredGun »

Patinator wrote:Just as an update, stuff continues to be stolen. Already sent an email informing ConCon.
Might want to look here too: https://sapwik.com/@sycrpt
This scumbag is stealing content from CC too, including article descriptions and first paragraphs (for those showing only 33%).
Sent Chris Reid an email on the weekend, but haven't heard back yet. :evil:

Should you find your content stolen and placed on this scumbag's Medium site, here's their copyright info:

DMCA copyright policy

Medium deals with copyright infringement on Medium Services in accordance with the Digital Millennium Copyright Act. We have a policy of terminating repeat copyright infringers in appropriate circumstances.
The contact information for Medium’s Designated Agent for receipt of notices of claimed infringement is here:
A Medium Corporation 760 Market Street, Suite 900 San Francisco, CA 94103 Attn: Copyright Agent Email: copyright@medium.com
Judith
Location: I may be found where mountains rise and rivers flow.

Post by Judith »

Posting only a third of your article is not necessarily a cure for theft. Check out this older thread:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=23929&p=65836&hilit ... ted#p65836
HiredGun

Post by HiredGun »

Judith wrote:Posting only a third of your article is not necessarily a cure for theft. Check out this older thread:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=23929&p=65836&hilit ... ted#p65836
Completely agree. I've had full articles stolen, even when only 33% is showing, but at least showing only 33% doesn't make a thief's job any easier.
Lysis

Post by Lysis »

How do they get the full article if it shows 33%? Do they have the rest of the article showing somewhere?

I wonder if they can see the full thing if they put it in their shopping cart? That's interesting and I wonder how they do it. I imagine you'd know if they were just buying and returning to get the content for free.
HiredGun

Post by HiredGun »

Lysis wrote:How do they get the full article if it shows 33%? Do they have the rest of the article showing somewhere?

I wonder if they can see the full thing if they put it in their shopping cart? That's interesting and I wonder how they do it. I imagine you'd know if they were just buying and returning to get the content for free.
Never figured out how the thief managed to steal the entire article when I only showed 33%. I left it up to Chris to deal with the thief (nope, they weren't buying/returning). I've always wondered if there is a way to access the entire original file if your right-click on an article and then choose 'inspect element'. Maybe the full file is hidden somewhere in the HTML code?

It's likely only to get worse. With OCR-to-speech technology, now super easy to convert text in images to voice.
https://www.naturalreaders.com/webapp.html
https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... eech&hl=en

Time to bury my head in the sand. :(
Lysis

Post by Lysis »

That's what I'm thinking. They can right-click and the content is hidden.

Those links are disturbing from our POV. It used to be pretty bad back in the day with them selling to associated content and sites like that. I thought it died down but maybe it's just because the forum isn't so active anymore.

Are you guys on reddit? This is a cool sub. Lots of mill writers but it's everyone in one place. https://www.reddit.com/r/freelanceWriters/